Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you'll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We're large enough that you'll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
The Privacy Engineering team is responsible for creating software to help ensure that we respect our users' privacy, meet our regulatory requirements, and enable our other engineering teams to support our privacy programs with as little friction as possible. We are seeking an experienced engineering manager to join our privacy engineering effort as we build out a robust privacy program.
We're looking for someone who is curious, enthusiastic, responsible, and generous. You should have experience with process automation, workflow management, and processing large data sets. Experience building applications using one of the major cloud providers is a bonus, but not required. We primarily write in PHP, Scala, Java, and SQL and, in addition to the Apache/PHP platform, use technologies like Hadoop and Kafka, as well as GCP comparables like Dataproc, Dataflow, and BigQuery.
The technical staff at Etsy believes that code is craft, and that the work we do is part of a larger creative culture that includes the hundreds of thousands of inspired artists and designers who make Etsy such a unique marketplace. We believe that small, empowered, self-motivated teams can do big things. We believe in measuring everything, taking advantage of our pioneering continuous deployment system to ship code early and often, and keeping up a blameless culture based on trust and a commitment to learning.
This role is based (eventually) in our Brooklyn, NY office; and is also open to remote applicants within the US & Canada.
About The Role
- Help craft privacy strategy at a company that puts consumers and social issues first
- Serve in a leadership role, helping to build the road map and set the direction for our privacy engineering efforts
- Work across technical stacks to design and build systems for auditing and monitoring how we store and access user data
- Analyze and breakdown down business requirements into phases of implementation
- Work closely with both other engineering teams and business stakeholders to design automated solutions for privacy
- Participate in the recruiting process as we build out our privacy engineering staff
- Day to day, participate in our agile software development process, writing software to support our privacy and compliance efforts.
- Will bring technical opinions, best engineering practices, ideas and a vision for privacy at Etsy, especially around architectural and foundational pieces of data retention, deletion and obfuscation.
- Able to advise on technical solutions, architecture proposals as well as developing technical roadmaps based on the needs of our internal partners.
- Experience working on projects that are formally audited in some way is a plus
- Have a storied history of negotiating requirements with stakeholders while striking a balance between user needs and business needs
- Background in privacy, security or creating compliant software is a plus
- Genuine passion for protecting user privacy is also a real positive
- Familiar with data engineering and data pipelines
- Familiarity with cloud native practices and patterns is a plus
- Understand that being an effective software engineer is as much about communicating with people as it is about writing code
- Experience leading or managing an engineering team is a requirement
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover
letter and resume telling us why you'd be right for the position. As you've
hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and
variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else -- we want you to be
like you! So write to us and tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes
us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We
encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to
apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the
basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual
orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability,
gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status,
veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that
individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to
participate in the job application and interview process, to perform
essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of
employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities
may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We're open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.