Engineering Manager, Privacy
The Privacy and Compliance Engineering team is responsible for creating software to help ensure that we respect our users’ privacy, meet our regulatory requirements, and enable our other engineering teams to support our privacy and compliance programs with as little friction as possible. We are seeking an experienced engineering manager to seed our privacy engineering effort as we build out a robust privacy program.
We're looking for someone who is curious, enthusiastic, responsible, and generous. You should have experience with process automation, workflow management, and processing large data sets. Experience building applications using one of the major cloud providers is a bonus, but not required. We primarily write in PHP, Scala, Java, and SQL and, in addition to the Apache/PHP platform, use technologies like Hadoop and Kafka, as well as GCP comparables like Dataproc, Dataflow, and BigQuery.
The technical staff at Etsy believes that code is craft, and that the work we do is part of a larger creative culture that includes the hundreds of thousands of inspired artists and designers who make Etsy such a unique marketplace. We believe that small, empowered, self-motivated teams can do big things. We believe in measuring everything, taking advantage of our pioneering continuous deployment system to ship code early and often, and keeping up a blameless culture based on trust and a commitment to learning.
About the Role
- Help shape privacy and compliance strategy at a company that puts consumers and social issues first
- Serve in a leadership role, helping to create the road map and set the direction for our privacy engineering efforts
- Work across technical stacks to design and build systems for auditing and monitoring how we store and access user data
- Work closely with both other engineering teams and business stakeholders to design automated solutions for privacy and compliance problems
- Participate in the recruiting process as we build out our privacy engineering staff
- Day to day, participate in our agile software development process, writing software to support our privacy and compliance efforts.
- At least 5-6 yrs of relevant experience
- Experience working at an internet company, e-commerce experience is a strong plus
- Experience writing software that must produce an audit trail, or working on projects that are formally audited in some way
- Background working in privacy or compliance is a very large plus
- Genuine passion for protecting user privacy is also a strong plus
- Familiar with data engineering and data pipelines
- Understand that being an effective software engineer is as much about communicating with people as it is about writing code
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your CV or resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Back to top