Director of Platform Engineering (Brooklyn or San Francisco)
- Setting a cohesive vision for the overall platform engineering teams as well as each individual team.
- Lead the platform engineering teams in delivering business value by properly prioritizing work and delivering at a rapid pace, while maintaining quality and availability.
- Set the technology direction of the the platform teams using industry standards and best practices methodology.
- Act as a key member of the CTO’s staff and contribute on a variety of topics including overall technology vision, organizational structure, strategy, and architecture.
- Grow, mentor, and develop a world-class team of innovative engineers, instilling and fostering a high-performance culture.
- Are a strong leader that can set a big vision and inspire the engineering team to achieve lofty goals.
- 5+ years of experience developing large scale, customer facing marketplaces or platforms.
- 5+ years of experience managing engineering organizations leveraging lean/agile methodologies.
- Proven experience making measurable technical impact on large-scale systems and driving the right business results as an outcome.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Have a passion for innovation, new ideas, quick prototyping, hackathons etc.
- Have an open-minded approach to development strategy and approaches.
- Proven history in building high-powered teams and developing an engineering culture based on open communication, collaboration, and accountability.
- Past history of staff augmentation via 3rd parties, with proper oversight to ensure knowledge and ownership is maintained by the core team.
- Proven experience attracting and retaining elite talent and removing average players, quickly.
- Posses High integrity, principles, and ethics.
Nice to Have
- Successful track record, consistent release experience.
- Experience in top companies that ramped. Can point to commercial success in the market.
- Proven ability to operate in a lean, rapid growth environment.
- An organizational leader that brings both strategic and tactical capabilities. Able to earn the respect of the team on the basis of execution, knowledge, hands-on style, and decision-making ability.
- Strong presence with good communication skills and highly influential both externally (with customers and partners) as well as internally at the senior management level.
- Decisive - gathers the data and makes informed, critical decisions quickly.A positive, energetic, can-do attitude. Driven to succeed, achievement oriented, self-motivated.
- Not afraid to fail - brings a mentality of rapid innovation and the desire to attain big goals.
- Systems thinking - the ability to identify and unravel issues before they hit the schedule.
- Creative problem solving skills as well as the ability to ignite the creativity of others.
Meet Some of Etsy's Employees
Senior Director, User Experience
Alex oversees Etsy’s User Experience Team. He focuses his questions on how to create integrated and friendly experiences for both buyers and sellers in the Etsy marketplace.
Back to top