Data Scientist, Analytics
About the Role
- Transform raw data into meaningful and impactful analysis characterized by strong data governance, technique transparency and aggressive documentation.
- Partner with senior leaders from product, engineering, and machine learning data science to identify opportunities for improvement and drive decision-making.
- Design and analyze rigorous experiments, help teams set great hypotheses, and deliver robust analysis of experiment results.
- Identify actionable metrics to understand the performance of products and algorithms, develop dashboards and/or reports to track performance, and ingrain these metrics into teams’ day-to-day decision-making.
- Raise the skill level of entire analyst team through the creation of exemplary work, mentorship and the introduction of better practices, processes and tools.
- Help advocate for Etsy’s data-driven decision-making process internally and externally.
- Continually evaluate and refine your technical toolkit; teach what you learn to the team.
- You have 2+ years experience as a data scientist or data analyst in which you have extracted meaning from big data sets with little engineering support.
- You are proficient in SQL and have familiarity with either R or Python. Bonus points for experience with the Hadoop ecosystem or additional scripting languages (Scala, PHP, Ruby, etc.)
- Experience with Looker, Tableau, or other data visualization software a plus.
- You are a strong, independent, analytical thinker who enjoys tackling complex and nuanced problems.
- You love statistics and have experience in statistical methods while being fluent in experimental analysis and a/b testing.
- You can communicate your insights verbally, visually and in writing. You are able to take on loosely defined problems and distill complex findings into actionable recommendations.
- You have experience working with web data and you are familiar with the e-commerce and/or marketplace space. Familiarity with search algorithms is a plus.
- You care deeply about the quality and integrity of your work.
- You care about reproducible work and have picked up tools to this end; you can teach others how to make their own work better and more efficient.
Meet Some of Etsy's Employees
Senior Director, User Experience
Alex oversees Etsy’s User Experience Team. He focuses his questions on how to create integrated and friendly experiences for both buyers and sellers in the Etsy marketplace.
Back to top