Etsy is seeking an Assistant Corporate Controller, to be based in Brooklyn, NY, who will report to the VP & Controller.
This position is a senior director level and is a key partner for the Controller in leading the accounting team through Etsy’s next stage of growth as a public company as well as being a trusted business partner to the rest of the finance organization and the broader operational team.
The Accounting team of over 20 people is located in Brooklyn, NY and Dublin, Ireland. We seek to support Etsy’s growth by ensuring timely and accurate financial reporting and a strong and sustainable internal control environment. Our goal is to contribute to Etsy at multiple levels by combining strong accounting and business senses, while subscribing to Etsy’s mission and values. We have a strong team that is passionate, caring, thoughtful, inquisitive and hungry to take on challenges and make continuous improvements.
You will help set the strategic direction of the accounting function at Etsy and lead the group to achieve its goals. You’ll provide day-to-day guidance and oversight to your team and you will drive process improvements, manage a large team, and partner with the rest of finance to perform as a unified world class business partner to the rest of the organization. You’ll lead the general accounting and SEC reporting functions, managing the day-to-day work and providing guidance, direction and coaching to the team. You’ll work closely with the other finance teams, including internal controls, tax and FP&A, in overseeing the monthly accounting close and the quarterly and annual SEC reporting requirements. In addition, you’ll assist in ensuring that the financial control environment is strong and sustainable, and supportive of the business growth.
We are looking for someone who shares our values, will truly care about and for the team, is passionate about building world-class processes and can be a trusted advisor to the Controller, CFO and other senior management. You should have experience and expertise in general accounting, technical accounting and SEC reporting gained in a combination of public accounting and public company experience. We value committed, detail-oriented and thoughtful individuals who bring operational excellence as well as a creative, mindful approach to their work.
About the Role
- Develop, manage and mentor the general accounting teams in Brooklyn and Dublin and the SEC reporting team·
- Responsible for the overall accounting team strategy·
- Build strong relationships within the accounting and overall finance teams, as well as cross-functionally in order to support the Company’s business needs·
- Ensure a strong internal financial control environment across the entire accounting team·
- Ensure thoughtful, timely and accurate research and documentation of accounting matters·
- Support development and preparation of a monthly management accounting package·
- Support and oversee preparation of SEC filing documents and participate in the company’s Disclosure Committee·
- Oversee compliance with applicable international and domestic regulations
- 15-18 years of experience, minimum of seven years of progressive accounting management experience in a global SEC-compliant organization.
- BS Degree in Accounting (MBA or MAcc a plus).
- CPA certification is mandatory.
- Must possess an awareness and limited knowledge of IFRS.
- Ability to oversee experienced accounting managers and directors and to collaborate with cross-functional peers and other members of management.
- Experience in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to be a creative business partner to key business leaders in supporting rapid growth·
- Exercise sound judgment and discretion·
- Excellent organizational, prioritization and process improvement skills·
- Experience as a strong, thoughtful manager with an interest in mentoring and leading team members to the next level in their careers
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.