Applied Scientist, Computer Vision
- San Francisco, CA
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you'll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We're large enough that you'll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
Etsy is an international marketplace with 65M+ handmade and vintage items from passionate artists, designers and vintage collectors. Computer Vision is a new initiative, arising from the browsing experience. Our Data Science & Machine Learning (DSML) powers machine learning driven systems and solutions to help our 45M+ buyers navigate Etsy's diverse and unique inventory of over 65M items. Applied Scientists work closely with product teams to develop custom machine-learning models that can drive product vision and customer impact.
Using state of the art computer vision approaches, we're looking for applied scientists that can improve the platform's browsing experience, quality of search results, and the way buyers and sellers communicate. Candidates will be passionate about innovation and driven by product and delivery. Targeting the visual experience and working closely with our Search and Recommendation teams, hires will help buyers find what they want and enable sellers to showcase their creativity. Ideal candidates would be looking to grow and improve products with their knowledge of computer vision and multi-modal learning.
We are language-agnostic in our approach to interviewing.
This is a full-time, position located (eventually) in our San Francisco, CA office. We offer flexible workplace policies that can accommodate work from home candidates who are comfortable traveling to an office location 2-3 times per week.
We're also open to remote hires within all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska.
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit thislinkfor information related to Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
- Develop multi-objective optimization functions to create embeddings that capture and disentangle the different stylistic attributes and elements of a product
- Train multimodal embeddings for 300M+ listings and serve them to 45M+ users for online search and recommendations
- Implement, evaluate, and deploy image segmentation algorithms to enable mouse over on portions of listing images
- Deploy generative modeling approaches to suggest stylistic, color, and material improvements on existing products
- Work with Tensorflow-Lite frameworks to deploy on-app augmented reality software to personalize products or envision them in specific places
- Build upon open source and the research community's work, evaluate its merits, adapt and implement software for our purposes, and then scale/productionize the code
- Prototype new algorithms and evaluate them in A/B experimentation on Etsy's machine learning platform
- Work cross functionally with product engineering teams and communicate your ideas and model capabilities to product managers
- Share your work to executives and stakeholders as well as at academic venues in the wider ML research community, including presentations at top-tier ML/DS conferences like CVPR, ICML, ICLR, KDD, WSDM, Recsys, etc.
- You have a track record of applying machine learning techniques in addressing real-world problems
- You have focused expertise in signal and image processing, multi-view geometry, computer vision, deep learning, and machine learning.
- You have extensive experience at writing, reviewing, and debugging production software engineering code and can evaluate it with online experimentation.
- You can communicate ideas to product managers and have worked in large, cross-functional teams with scientists, software engineers, and product engineers.
- You have a M.S./Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or related engineering fields, or 5+ years of practical machine learning experience.
- You have published at peer-reviewed conferences, such as CVPR, ICLR, ICML, KDD, SIGIR, WSDM, etc. or you have given talks/tutorials in the industrial conferences like Spark Summit.
- You have experience using Google Cloud Platform.
- You have experience in building production search, recommendations, advertising, or general e-commerce systems
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you'd be right for the position. As you've hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else - we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.
Back to top