Technical Writer - ArcGIS Pro
Be part of a team that collaborates with developers, subject matter experts, and authors to create great documentation that is on par with the quality of the software product it describes. Our work enables an extensive user base to have a positive impact on a variety of fields, ranging from environmental science to emergency management, demographics, politics, commerce, and more.
As a writer on the Desktop Documentation Team, you will be responsible for authoring high-level content for ArcGIS Pro and managing the documentation for ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap. You will also support authors on software development teams and help them follow style guidelines, use our content management system, and understand the impact of their writing decisions on internationalization workflows. You will work in a fast-paced environment that supports multiple software releases year round.
- Continue learning ArcGIS Pro and the ArcGIS platform and understand how they can be used to solve important problems
- Write high-level documentation for ArcGIS Pro
- Write blog posts about ArcGIS Pro and related technologies
- Become proficient with the SDL content management system (CMS)
- Configure the CMS to publish your articles and those of others
- Test and certify installed and online help systems
- Maintain documentation and keep it current with each software release
- Learn the Esri Style Guide
- Train authors
- Collaborate with different development teams within ArcGIS Pro and write articles with them
- Holistically test ArcGIS Pro
- Interact with users and subject matter experts, incorporating their feedback into documentation
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to analyze problems and describe solutions
- Attention to detail
- Ability to manage priorities and tasks in a fast-paced work environment
- Superior initiative and ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Knowledge of Esri’s ArcGIS platform or other GIS products
- Bachelor's or master’s in English, journalism, geography, or related field
- 3+ years of experience with Esri’s ArcGIS platform and online services, or other GIS products
- Technical writing experience, preferably with a content management system and for software products and for a global audience
- Foreign language or internationalization experience
- Experience with Python or other scripting or programming language
WRITING SAMPLE SUBMISSION: We're looking for technical writers and we want to see your work! Enhance your application by including examples of your writing. Please provide a link or attach files to your profile.
Our passion for improving quality of life through geography is at the heart of everything we do. Esri’s geographic information system (GIS) technology inspires and enables governments, universities, and businesses worldwide to save money, lives, and our environment through a deeper understanding of the changing world around them.
Carefully managed growth and zero debt give Esri stability that is uncommon in today's volatile business world. Privately held, we offer exceptional benefits, competitive salaries, 401(k) and profit-sharing programs, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and much more.
Esri is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
Meet Some of Esri's Employees
Manager, Nonprofit and Global Organizations Team
Salim leads a team that works to identify and understand the unique needs customers face so that Esri can provide proper product and services solutions.
Back to top