Software Developer - Interactive Storytelling
Join our team of exceptional software engineers to build new functionality for Esri CityEngine. The Esri R&D Center-Zurich is seeking a skilled developer to design and implement intuitive interfaces for the interactive modeling and storytelling in 3D. CityEngine is a ground-breaking 3D city creation tool used in film production, urban design, and other 3D/GIS industries.
- Drive the evolution of our urban planning platform by designing, developing, and evangelizing concepts and products for the interactive storytelling in 3D
- Lead the design and development of a story authoring and publishing UX in CityEngine, our urban planning application on the desktop. Besides interactive 3D tools and UI, this includes the introduction of novel data models on scene level as well as the extension or introduction of dedicated web layer formats
- Be part of the day-to-day development of CityEngine (Scrum)
- Contribute to the design and specification of our Web 3D solutions (Scene Viewer, JS API, and the web scene format) by helping to introduce low-level base technology as well as high-level UX concepts for the interactive storytelling in the browser and on mobile devices
- Represent Esri in the urban design community; collaborate with selected architectural studios; give presentations at events and conferences; write articles and research papers
- Excellent programming skills in a modern programming language
- 2+ years of practical experience in software engineering
- Strong background in computer graphics and real-time rendering
- Excellent creative thinking and communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment with frequent releases and tight schedules
- Knowledge of 3D tools such as Unity, Unreal, CityEngine, Maya, Houdini, etc.
- Master’s in computer science or a related field (PhD is a bonus)
- Experience with agile software development methods (Scrum etc.)
- Familiarity with ArcGIS or GIS software in general, with emphasis in map design/cartography
- Knowledge of common web technologies and 3D formats
Our passion for improving quality of life through geography is at the heart of everything we do. Esri’s geographic information system (GIS) technology inspires and enables governments, universities, and businesses worldwide to save money, lives, and our environment through a deeper understanding of the changing world around them.
Carefully managed growth and zero debt give Esri stability that is uncommon in today's volatile business world. Privately held, we offer exceptional benefits, competitive salaries, 401(k) and profit-sharing programs, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and much more.
Esri is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of Esri's Employees
User Experience Architect
As a UX architect, Whitney helps product teams embrace and implement user experience principles. When she’s not conceptualizing design solutions, she also conducts user research to bring in valuable data.
Back to top