Consultant - Local Government
Esri’s ArcGIS is a location platform that connects people with maps, data, and apps that are accessible to anyone, anywhere, anytime. ArcGIS is used by Fortune 500 companies, national and local governments, public utilities, tech startups, and others around the world.
Esri’s Professional Services Division plays a crucial role in the innovation of the ArcGIS platform. Our mission is simple yet powerful:
- Enable user success
- Broaden the impact of GIS
- Push our technology platform to make it better
In this role, you will contribute to growing the innovative state and local government practice within Esri’s Professional Services by working closely with customers to establish solutions to make them successful and broaden the presence and effectiveness of GIS within their business. You will provide vision and leadership while promoting the use of Esri technology and support its development and growth into new domains by collaborating with industry experts throughout the company. This is an opportunity to blend your experience and subject matter expertise with tech-savvy and transformational approaches to engaging with our customers.
- Be a thought leader: Advise customers regarding innovative solutions using Esri technology and content to help customers make better decisions. Recommend relevant strategies, architectures, and solutions and work with customers to prepare implementation and migration strategies.
- Understand our customers and know their business: Help foster a sense of community among industry and public sector leaders in state and local government including permitting, assessment/taxation, economic development, redistricting, transit, urban design, and planning. Be familiar with the overall mission and operations of state and local government agencies, including knowledge of common goals and initiatives, procurement cycles, and business processes.
- Engage with our customers: Discover the value of location within customer workflows and drive substantial return on their investment in our platform and services by creating outstanding proposals and winning work with strategic customers.
- Develop and grow business: Provide business development support toward technology and implementation patterns with new and existing customers. Collaborate with Esri’s practice managers and marketing and sales teams to develop new business and be part of actively shaping the future of state and local government through your work on cutting-edge projects and technology trends such as smart community (city), real-time GIS, big data analytics, geoanalytics, geodesign, 3D, and open data.
- Effectively manage complex technology projects and programs: Use your consulting and project management skills to lead virtual teams during all phases of implementation including requirements, analysis, design, build/configuration, and deployment. Manage scope, schedule, and budget to provide our customers and strategic partners with meaningful solutions.
- 10+ years of consulting experience with a record of using technology to improve state and local government efforts
- Demonstrated ability to consult and engage with executive level leadership
- Strong project management skills with the ability to deliver complex projects on time and within budget
- Ability to engage, collaborate, and facilitate with state and local government customers and external teams and stakeholders such as NGOs, universities, and startups
- Experience developing project designs, work plans, budgets, and schedules
- Solid understanding of the ArcGIS platform and how it relates to state and local government customers
- Proposal writing experience, including preparing executive summaries, solution definition, scope of services, staffing, and pricing
- Entrepreneurial attitude and willingness to learn—you must thrive in a dynamic cross-functional team environment
- Excellent written communication, storytelling, and collaboration skills
- Ability to grow and maintain internal and external networks with industry influencers and thought leaders
- Bachelor’s in geography, GIS, government, computer science, or a related field (master's preferred)
- Experience with location based services, geo-enabled apps, spatial analytics, or similar geospatial technology
- Connections with industry influencers and thought leaders
Our passion for improving quality of life through geography is at the heart of everything we do. Esri’s geographic information system (GIS) technology inspires and enables governments, universities, and businesses worldwide to save money, lives, and our environment through a deeper understanding of the changing world around them.
Carefully managed growth and zero debt give Esri stability that is uncommon in today's volatile business world. Privately held, we offer exceptional benefits, competitive salaries, 401(k) and profit-sharing programs, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and much more.
Esri is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Meet Some of Esri's Employees
Manager, Nonprofit and Global Organizations Team
Salim leads a team that works to identify and understand the unique needs customers face so that Esri can provide proper product and services solutions.
Back to top