Consultant - Forestry
Are you up to the challenge of being in a highly visible role, where you’ll function as both a technical expert and a strategic business consultant in the forest industry? We’re looking for people with forestry experience and strong technical know-how, especially in GIS, who also have a high level of business acumen, hands-on experience, and collaborative skills. Use these talents to help both new customers and seasoned users develop best practices for implementing our platform to realize their vision and drive toward their goals. You’ll become a customer’s trusted advisor at Esri, while also interfacing with Esri staff and technology partners.
In this role, you will contribute to growing the innovative forestry practice within Esri’s Professional Services by working closely with forestry and natural resources customers to establish solutions to make them successful and broaden the presence and effectiveness of GIS within their organization. You will provide vision and leadership while promoting the use of Esri technology and support its development and growth in forestry and natural resources management by collaborating with industry and technical experts throughout the company. This is an opportunity to blend your experience and subject matter expertise with tech-savvy and transformational approaches to engaging with our customers.
- Understand our customers: Support the overall mission and operations of forest industry leaders, including federal forest and land management agencies, state departments of forestry, timber real estate investment trusts (REITs) and timber investment management organizations (TIMOs)
- Engage with our customers: Help our customers discover the value of location within their forest management workflows to drive substantial return on their investment in our platform and services by creating outstanding proposals and winning work with strategic customers
- Be a thought leader: Advise forestry, natural resources, and land management customers implement GIS technology-driven solutions using Esri’s enterprise GIS technology by recommending relevant solutions, architectures, and migration strategies
- Drive business value: Work with forestry organizations to help identify areas where GIS and integrated systems can empower executives, decision makers, fieldworkers, and consultants to improve their business processes including planning, harvesting, silviculture, and transportation/road management
- Develop and grow business: Provide business development support toward technology and implementation patterns with new and existing customers by collaborating with Esri’s practice managers, industry and product marketing, and sales teams to develop new business and be part of actively shaping and driving organizational change
- Effectively manage technology projects and programs: Use your consulting and project management skills to lead on-site and virtual teams during all phases of implementation including requirements, analysis, design, build/configuration, and deployment; manage scope, schedule, and budget to provide our customers and strategic partners with meaningful solutions
- 5+ years of forestry experience with a record of evaluating and recommending technology solutions
- Ability to engage and collaborate with forestry customers such as national government forest and land management agencies, state and local departments of forestry, timber real estate investment trusts (REITs) and timber investment management organizations (TIMOs)
- Strong project management skills with the ability to deliver complex projects on time and within budget
- Experience developing project designs, work plans, budgets, and schedules
- Solid understanding of the ArcGIS platform and how it relates to forestry customers in both technical and non-technical roles
- Excellent written communication, storytelling, and collaboration skills including experience preparing technical reports and documents
- Ability to grow and maintain internal and external networks with forest industry influencers and thought leaders
- Entrepreneurial attitude and willingness to learn—you must thrive in a dynamic cross-functional team environment
- Bachelor’s in forestry, forest management, forest engineering or a related natural resource discipline, depending on position level
- Experience with location-based services, geo-enabled apps, spatial analytics, or similar geospatial technology
- Connections with forest industry influencers and thought leaders
- Ability to consult and engage with executive level leadership who want to strategically use business analytics to enhance growth, evaluate business value, monitor operations, and perform data-driven decision-making
- Proposal writing experience, including preparing executive summaries, solution definition, scope of services, staffing, and pricing
- Forestry experience, both in the office and in the field, managing forest operations such as harvesting and silviculture, and basic forest economics
- Experience managing forest resource data to support forestry workflows such as field data collection, forest inventory and design, timber sales, land sales and acquisition, growth and yield modeling, cash flow projections, environmental services, appraisals, and harvest scheduling
- Familiarity with mobile applications used in field data collection such as timber cruising, silviculture, forest certification auditing, and engineering
- Knowledge of imagery, remote sensing, and image processing techniques and systems
Our passion for improving quality of life through geography is at the heart of everything we do. Esri’s geographic information system (GIS) technology inspires and enables governments, universities, and businesses worldwide to save money, lives, and our environment through a deeper understanding of the changing world around them.
Carefully managed growth and zero debt give Esri stability that is uncommon in today's volatile business world. Privately held, we offer exceptional benefits, competitive salaries, 401(k) and profit-sharing programs, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and much more.
Esri is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.
Back to top