The Event Director is responsible for the development, marketing, management, and onsite execution of the events assigned to their portfolio. Additionally, the Event Director is the primary liaison to each event committee, responsible for directing strategy, executing on the vision, ensuring the event’s appeal to a global audience and adhering to EO’s Global Event Policies and Procedures as well as the organization’s vision, mission and core values
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordinate and Strategize with the Global Events Subcommittee on University product:
- In conjunction with the VP, Events, liaison to the Learning Committee and liaison the Global Events Subcommittee, strategize on overall brand of the university product
- Includes major program changes, registration policies, planning procedures and execution
- Assist with University location selection
- Assist with Global member lead selection
Manage a volunteer committee of EO members in each host city to plan and execute Universities:
- Develop and execute a committee training with Staff core team and EO member volunteers
- Achieve consensus on programming among committee of EO members and EO Global staff
- Manage division of responsibilities among the members, EO Global staff and vendors.
Effectively manage University Program team:
- Ensure team is delivering exceptional member service, with well-run calls, responsive communications and sufficient support of local efforts
- Ensure team is meeting metrics and deliverables regarding event.
- Schedule monthly/weekly one-on-one meetings to review and debrief on all program progress, updates, development and execution (other items as necessary);
- Create, provide and explain documents/templates for the team to use to ensure communication with members, staff, partners, et. al, are professional, clear and concise.
Coordinate event logistics:
- Assist VP, Events with site selection and hotel and supplier contracting
- Manage all vendors
- Maintain program agenda in conjunction with the Manager, Global Learning, who is responsible for the educational content
- Create and maintain a balanced program budget
- Coordinate all aspects of the event planning process (including but not limited to, hotel room blocks, all F&B functions, AV needs, transportation, off-site activities, and pre and post tours) with support provided by the Event Managers
- As necessary per event, liaise with other EO Staff regarding roles relevant to the event such as sponsorship, communications/PR, and membership related initiatives.
- Lead and prepare a team of EO Global staff for the on-site execution of the event (create the event specifications document, staff schedule, lead regular meetings, manage staff on-site).
Marketing and Communications:
- Liaise with Event Registration Coordinator and Marketing Manager on all marketing project initiatives.
- Provide content for websites, registrant communications and marketing pieces in conjunction with Event Registration Coordinator for websites
Supervise the Event Registration Coordinator and Event Coordinator:
- Includes hiring staff, conducting performance reviews, providing for the development of skills, advancing professionalism and assigning duties.
- Serve as the first point of escalation for any member issues that arise in relation to event attendance
- Ultimately responsible for all of EO's event registration processes and attendee member services
- Review and evaluate the progress of the team within goal milestones and provide discussion, explanation and tools that will help to sustain, improve and/or bolster the successful completion of tasks/projects.
- Research and suggest professional skills development courses/trainings.
- Provide ideas and input on strategic imperatives to the VP, Events both proactively and as directed.
- Develop and improve event templates, processes and procedures to better meet the needs of our committees and staff team.
- Seek out professional development opportunities for self and for the team.
Other duties as assigned
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each Essential Duty and Responsibility (the "Essential Duties") satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the Essential Duties
Education and/or Experience:
Minimum of 5 years of event planning and operating experience
Minimum of 2 years of event committee management
Minimum of 1-2 years of supervisory experience
MPI (Meeting Planners International) membership
CMP (Certified Meeting Professional)
Computer software skills training
Personal development training
In addition to the above, the following may also be required of the successful candidate:
Excellent organizational skills
Ability to interact with entrepreneurs with tact diplomacy and poise
Excellent attention to detail
Promote quality through continuous performance improvement
The use of good judgment and good interpersonal communication skills
Well-developed analytical and problem solving skills
Works harmoniously and effectively with others as part of a team
A self-starter who desires to show ownership and commitment to the job
* Exercises confidentiality and discretion
Back to top