VP / SVP Business & Legal Affairs, Global Film Group
About Entertainment One
Entertainment One Ltd. (LSE:ETO) is a global independent studio that specialises in the development, acquisition, production, financing, distribution and sales of entertainment content. The Company’s diversified expertise spans across film, television and music production and sales, family programming, merchandising and licensing, and digital content. Through its global reach and expansive scale, powered by deep local market knowledge, the Company delivers the best content to the world.
Entertainment One’s robust network includes film and television studio The Mark Gordon Company; content creation venture Amblin Partners with Steven Spielberg, DreamWorks Studios, Participant Media, and Reliance Entertainment; leading feature film production and global sales company Sierra Pictures; unscripted television production companies Renegade 83, Paperny Entertainment and Force Four Entertainment; world-class music labels Dualtone Music Group and Last Gang; and award-winning digital agency Secret Location.
The Company’s rights library is exploited across all media formats and includes more than 100,000 hours of film and television content and approximately 40,000 music tracks.
The SVP Business & Legal Affairs will work within the Production business within the Global Film Group of Entertainment One (“eOne”) with a particular emphasis on the acquisition, development, production and production financing of the feature film projects on the eOne Global Film Group and sister companies slate. The role will include negotiating, structuring, drafting and commenting on development, production, sales and distribution documentation across all areas of the business as well as liaising with the other eOne business groups (such as local distribution and finance) where required.
The role requires considerable industry experience, confidence in negotiating with key industry players including lending institutions, completion guarantors, studios, producers, talent and distributors, and an ability to deal with sophisticated documentation, frequently to short deadlines, across multiple jurisdictions and projects.
The SVP Business & Legal Affairs will report to EVP Business & Legal Affairs, Global Film Group in Los Angeles and should be able to work independently and with supervision.
Excellent commercial skills are as important as first rate legal knowledge.
The SVP Business & Legal Affairs will be responsible for:
- Legal Structuring: working with Head of Legal and Business Affairs in the legal structuring of the film financings, including assessment of any financially beneficial foreign jurisdictions and co-production treaties;
- Deal Structuring: assisting in the principal commercial negotiations for rights acquisitions and eOne’s investment in each project;
- Financing facility: participating in the negotiations for the production banking arrangements as well as drafting, reviewing and negotiating the resulting documentation and supervision of the ongoing performance of such facilities;
- Subsidies: analysing and conducting due diligence on local law subsidies and tax credits;
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating:
- all principal financing documentation including: interparty agreements; completion guarantees; security documentation; investment agreements; collection arrangements;
- all principal development and production documentation including: chain of title; director and producer agreements; writing agreements; key talent agreements;
- all Guild requirements and documentation;
- key distribution agreements for eOne Global Film Group in-house production titles and third party acquisitions, in particular in respect of the US and other major territories, and related documentation such as notices of assignment and security documentation;
- Master Service Agreements, statements of work, and licensing agreements;
- International Sales: where appropriate, working with Head of Legal and Business Affairs and the Sierra Pictures legal team on aspects of the International Sales business including drafting, reviewing and negotiating key sales documentation including sales agency agreements and connected financing documentation and key distribution agreements with international distributors;
- Finance: liaising with the finance department where necessary (e.g. cost reports, cashflow, investment reconciliations and modelling and monitoring collections and CAMA arrangements);
- Templates: reviewing, maintaining and updating eOne’s development, production and distribution templates; and
- Outside counsel: instructing and working with outside counsel, where appropriate.
- Helping to develop internal procedures to monitor the progress of development, productions and investments including financial performance;
- Liaising with local distribution teams (currently in Canada, US, Australia/New Zealand, Benelux and Spain);
- Liaising with rights management and contract admin teams to ensure accurate tracking of the development, production and distribution rights in eOne’s projects;
- Assisting in the implementation of a strategy to protect intellectual property rights in the projects eOne owns; and
- Working with other counsel handling production legal, litigation, copyright and trademark, rights and clearance matters.
- Other work as required to support the eOne Global Film Group business.
- Qualified media lawyer with 8-10 years PQE;
- Substantial experience in development, production, production financing and distribution (drafting and negotiation) and excellent legal skills;
- Good understanding of production and production financing economics as well as distribution;
- Experience of sales agency work and international distribution agreements;
- In house experience;
- Good industry contacts;
- Ability to deal with high volume of work across many projects and time zones;
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines;
- Excellent drafting and communication skills (including to non-legal departments);
- Strong negotiation techniques with a commercial, problem solving and collaborative approach.
We thank everyone for their interest but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Meet Some of Entertainment One's Employees
Manager, Global Scripted Development, eOne Television
Jeff works with writers, producers, directors, and actors to find, pitch, and shape the next hit TV series by seeking out exciting ideas and shaping scripts.
Back to top