- Chestertown, MD
Together we are powering the future of Higher Education
Here at Ellucian, we are motivated by a mission the power of education to transform lives and change the world. We are the global market leader in EdTech for Higher Education, serving more than 2,700 customers and reaching over 20 million students in 50+ countries. We are dedicated to helping Higher Ed thrive by transforming their institutions to agile, digitally connected campuses that enable student success.
Washington College - Chestertown, Maryland
The Systems Administrator position is highly technical in nature. The position involves software installation and upgrades, systems problem resolution, systems security, and planning and recommendations for system upgrades. System duties are performed on a variety of operating systems with a heavy emphasis on Microsoft's server products. This position reports to the Technical Director.
You will add value by:
- Performing operating system upgrades in the Microsoft Windows environment after developing an upgrade plan and reviewing the plan with supervisor. This includes but is not limited to implementing, maintaining, and enhancing the Microsoft Exchange ('Exchange') and Active Directory ('AD') environments.
- Installing new software and software upgrades for all layered products after presenting a plan for user testing and migration to the new product level.
- Monitoring system performance and proposes software updates or parameter changes to enhance system performance; develops a plan for testing, implementing, and measuring the results of system performance.
- Maintaining required operating system security on all centralized Windows machines.
- Developing, installs, maintains and tests software to provide regular backup and restore processing for all centralized computers.
- Performing backup process to include management of scheduling.
- Assisting with the setup, configuration, and maintenance of IP based security cameras
- Assisting, as needed, in network printer setup, configuration, and troubleshooting.
- Proposing, acquiring, configuring, deploying, and supporting IBM server hardware and Dell EMC SAN
- Working with hardware and software customer support service organizations as required solving problems.
- Sharing technical and functional expertise with other members of the team as required.
- Documenting various processing procedures for use by other IT staff members.
- Attends training sessions, reads instructional manuals, and reads industry periodicals to maintain a current understanding of the various operating systems and maintained software.
- Performs related work as required.
- A Bachelor's degree with at least three years prior experience as a systems administrator.
- Knowledge of VMware Virtualization software.
- Knowledge of Windows Server Administration processes
- Experience and/or training which provides the following knowledge, ability, and skill:
- Considerable experience in systems administration functions with a focus on AD and Exchange.
- Practical experience in testing and installing third party software products.
- Working knowledge and understanding of administration of relational databases.
- Practical experience in systems security including an understanding of audit systems, enhanced user security, and Internet security issues.
- Experience in performing system tuning, both at the operating system level and the application level.
- Excellent time management, planning and interpersonal skills.
- Effectively manage scope and customer expectations on individual assignments.
- Must have the ability to work effectively with end-users, gain their confidence, understand their technical and operational needs and translate them into viable technical solutions. Superior verbal and written skills, encompassing complete understanding
on the English language with exceptional communication skills.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills.
- Willingness to work as a contributing member of the team including other systems personnel, the operations staff, and the account administrators.
- Must participate in on call rotation
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
Req ID: 2682
Hiring Type: Full - Time
Level of Experience: Senior Level
Travel Required: None
Back to top