Senior Network Administrator- 50% Travel
Employee Type: Full - Time
Ellucian helps education institutions thrive in an open and dynamic world. We deliver a broad portfolio of technology solutions, developed in collaboration with a global education community, and provide strategic guidance to help education institutions of all kinds navigate change, achieve greater transparency, and drive efficiencies. More than 2,500 institutions in 50 countries around the world look to Ellucian for the ideas and insights that will move education forward, helping people everywhere discover their futures through learning.
This is a REMOTE position with 50% travel to NY/ NJ /PA Areas.
Recruiting efforts for this position will begin in December 2018.
As a Senior Network Administrator, you will assemble and perform advanced, custom configuration of network components (i.e., routers, switches, etc.) as well as maintain services (i.e., connectivity and access). You will be responsible for performing troubleshooting to isolate and diagnose complex problems. This involves independently implementing solutions that have limited system-wide impact.
• Maintaining network resources, including configuration of network switches, server hardware, VoIP systems, operating systems, applications and services in a wired and wireless environment.
• Maintaining and improving network operations and provide support to network users.
• Configuring and maintaining network components (e.g., routers, switches, etc.) and services (i.e., connectivity and access).
• Performing custom configuration for complex network devices such as firewalls and VPN concentrators. Reconfiguring network equipment as necessary to handle environmental changes.
• Performing network troubleshooting to isolate and diagnose complex network problems. With minor supervision, implementing solutions that have limited system-wide impact. Escalating issues with broader implications for entire network to higher level network personnel or Technical Director
• Maintaining the wireless authentication tool(s) for the campus and serve as the primary point of contact for campus community support.
• Administering servers both in a Virtual and Physical environment.
• Utilizing monitoring tools to capture and analyze traffic, maintaining uptime, generating usage reports, and spotting trends
• Creating and maintaining documentation and diagrams as needed when assets are added or removed
• Supporting VOIP telecom environments including performing adds/moves/changes of phone equipment, and ensuring that our environment stays current with product releases.
• Providing users with technical support; establishing network users, user environments, and directories for networks being installed
• Installing and testing necessary software and hardware in accordance with standards based settings and Ellucian Change Management processes
• Training and mentoring staff as appropriate
• Ability to drive/travel up to 50% within the NY/NJ/PA region as appropriate and support multiple in-region customers either onsite or remotely
• Associate's degree or equivalent from a technical school, Bachelor's degree preferred
• Higher Education background and knowledge with 3-5 years of related experience and/or training; OR equivalent combination of education and experience
• Experience and working knowledge of configuring and troubleshooting Cisco, Aruba and related networking devices.
• Experience and working knowledge of Microsoft Server operating systems, Microsoft Active Directory Doman Services, and Server roles such as DNS and DHCP.
• Experience with network administration skills including security, back-up and recovery, and capacity planning.
• Has broad-based, in-depth knowledge and hands-on experience implementing network switches and routers.
• Practical experience with VOIP system administration and Cisco CUCM
• Excellent time-management, planning and interpersonal skills.
• Effectively manage scope and customer expectations on individual assignments.
• Must have the ability to work effectively with end-users, gain their confidence, understand their technical and operational needs and translate them into viable technical solutions. Superior verbal and written skills, encompassing complete understanding on the English language with exceptional communication skills.
• Strong organizational and leadership skills.
• Willingness to work as a contributing member of the team including other systems personnel, the operations staff, and the account administrators.
• Must participate in on-call rotation
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
• Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
• Working knowledge of a Linux server operating system.
• Familiarity with network monitoring systems such as SolarWinds.
• Cisco, VMWare, Microsoft certifications and appropriate professional certifications preferred
Ellucian provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Ellucian complies with all laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Ellucian expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Ellucian employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Meet Some of Ellucian's Employees
VP, Cloud Engineering
Kyung runs a team of engineers who are dedicated to cloud adoption processes—making sure Ellucian customers users can access their systems and data at all times.
Back to top