Manager, Competitive Intelligence and Market Research
Employee Type: Full - Time
Ellucian helps education institutions thrive in an open and dynamic world. We deliver a broad portfolio of technology solutions, developed in collaboration with a global education community, and provide strategic guidance to help education institutions of all kinds navigate change, achieve greater transparency, and drive efficiencies. More than 2,500 institutions in 50 countries around the world look to Ellucian for the ideas and insights that will move education forward, helping people everywhere discover their futures through learning.
As a Manager of Market Intelligence and Research, you will provide support for sales, product management and marketing by conducting market and competitor research in the software and higher education software market. Reporting to the Vice President, Market Strategy & Research, this individual will be a core contributor to building an effective market strategy by understanding the market context, competition, pricing, technology and other trends that help drive successful company growth and strong customer relationships. This includes working with HQ, Division and Global Region partners to assess needs, size opportunities, develop strategies, and coordinate execution of programs that ultimately deliver growth and help Ellucian position itself most successfully with customers and within the market. In additional to being data oriented and tactically proficient, this role is highly strategic and focused on driving innovation and change.
You will research, analyze and develop documentation on the key Ellucian competitors within the Client Relationship Management (CRM) space for Higher Education and identify potential threats to which the company should respond; provide the information basis for the assessment of competitive challenges and help define market and competitive sales strategy; and develop documentation and other types of product management, marketing and sales support to assist positioning Ellucian successfully in the market and against the competition. You will also contribute to key market strategy and research initiatives and programs.
- Working with team members, internal partners and third-party consultants to support market research programs and initiatives
- Conducting thorough, effective analysis of Ellucian's market and competition using sound research practices.
- Establishing and maintaining strong relationships with the product and sales organization, marketing and R&D to ensure a broad understanding of competitor and market information.
- Ensuring that competitor analysis deliverables are completed and updated on time following established procedures and schedules.
- Assisting with product management and sales requests for support and competitive/market research.
- Supporting win/loss analysis and processes as needed and applicable to the domain for focus
- Collecting relevant competitive best practices and facilitating knowledge sharing about competitive opportunities and their outcome.
- Delivering information relative to focus areas to internal clients in various formats including (but not limited to) competitive sales guides, webcasts, reports, and presentations.
- Establishing and prioritizing competitor analysis responsibilities/objectives relative to group, department, division, corporate marketing and sales goals
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in business, computer science, technology or other research related field;
- 7 plus years of professional inclusive of the technology industry, marketing, sales or consulting or related field with a research focus
- Strong foundation of knowledge of software and/or technology industry
- Understanding of businesses' technology needs
- Analytical and conceptual thinking skills
- Project management skills
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Public speaking experience
- Strong understanding of the Client Relationship Management (CRM) sector within the higher education market
- Prior experience in market research and/or market/competitive intelligence
- Knowledge of Higher Education industry and CRM
- Knowledge of product marketing, sales tools and techniques, and business partner relationship development strategies.
- Experience with software, computer technology or products
- Advanced degree in business, statistics, analytics, research or technology related discipline
Ellucian provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Ellucian complies with all laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Ellucian expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Ellucian employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Back to top