Director of Product Design
Ellevest is a well-funded, early stage B2C tech startup based in NYC that is reinventing financial services for women. We’re building a new kind of money platform, which has the potential to be a disruptive and meaningful force for good. Our team has deep, successful roots in the startup and finance communities.
About this position:
As the Director of Product Design, you will be a key contributor to the UX and visual design strategy that drives the vision and experience of the Ellevest product. Reporting to the Chief Product Officer, you’ll collaborate with senior leadership and critical business stakeholders across the organization and will take ownership of product KPI’s, understanding the numbers inside and out and driving a culture of testing, iteration, and direct communication with customers.
You are wholeheartedly focused on the user, and believe that regular testing and iteration is the key to delivering a successful product. You value beauty and delight as well as clarity and simplicity, and understand how to use them to deliver an excellent experience. You have a good sense for when to apply established patterns and styles, as well as when to evolve them or leave them behind entirely (while updating our style guide and documentation accordingly).
You’re able to move seamlessly from execution-oriented, iterative work to big-picture, strategic thinking.
- Develop strategy for product design and manage day to day operations of the product design organization
- Identify and articulate user needs, build prototypes to test internally and through user research, and refine solutions in the face of data and other findings
- Operate as a player-coach, balancing your own product design projects with the mentorship and management of an existing team of Product Designers
- Deliver creative design solutions for complex usability problems, with an eye for elegant typography and brand voice
- Collaborate with Chief Product Officer and Chief Experience Officer on the hiring and career development of the design team.
- Maintain a holistic view of the product and drive toward a simple and coherent experience
- Work iteratively in a highly Agile and Scrum environment
- Be an evangelist for UX and UI best practices and design excellence
- Drive new ideas into user research, stakeholder reviews, and prototypes all the way into our applications
- Develop, present, and defend ideas in front of the design, product and executive teams
- Continuously strive to optimize our process to deliver design into engineering, while keeping the challenges of an agile design and engineering team in mind
- Ensure the Ellevest experience meets a high level of quality, drives innovative UI/visual thinking, provide vision, and strategic direction to the product design team
- Collaborate closely with the brand design team to maintain a consistent experience across all Ellevest touchpoints
- Be a great team leader that's able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- 8+ years of Product Design experience for consumer brands on complex flows and use cases across customer journeys
- Experience in building, contributing and leading a highly effective design organization at a tech company that has shown excellence in product design
- Strong point-of-view on modern, effective design processes and systems
- Evidence of successful collaboration with engineering, product and marketing teams
- Evidence of using research and data to steer design thinking
- Point-of-view on how to create happy, productive design organizations
- Awareness of best-in-class tools for design and prototyping
- Extensive understanding of prototyping methodologies and practices, user research methodologies and A/B test planning/execution
- An exceptional portfolio of (shipped) creative digital product design that showcases complex and creative UX solutions, exceptional visual design and solid information architecture
- A passion for design and continual improvement
- Openness to receiving feedback and having your opinions be challenged
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills — you can tell compelling stories about your designs and present your work confidently to any audience (engineers, PMs, executives, other designers, etc.)
- Ability to prioritize projects, communicate progress, and deliver on time
- Ability to thrive in an unstructured, fast-moving and constantly evolving high growth environment
- Experience designing native mobile applications (iOS, Android)
- Passion for our women-oriented mission
- Degree in design or related field
- Finance experience a plus
Ellevest is a transformative technology company created to help women achieve their financial potential. Ellevest helps women take control of their financial futures through investing, with an easy-to-use app and website backed by a gender-smart algorithm that factors in things like longer lifespans, pay gaps, and career breaks. Ellevest was co-founded by Wall Street veteran Sallie Krawcheck, chair of the Ellevate Network, previously CEO of Smith Barney and Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, formerly CFO of Citi, and author of “Own It: The Power of Women at Work.” Ellevest has raised $70MM from investors like Rethink Impact, Pivotal Ventures, Valerie Jarrett, Salesforce Ventures, PayPal Ventures, MasterCard, Khosla Ventures, Morningstar, and Venus Williams.
Ellevest has flipped the traditional approach to investing with a real-life, goal-based approach. Clients select personal financial goals such as buying a home, starting a business, raising a family, and retiring well, among others. Ellevest is unique in taking into account a woman’s longer lifespan and different salary curve, combined with her current financial picture, to construct highly customized investment portfolios for each of her goals. Ellevest’s unique algorithms are designed to get the client to her goal number or better in 70% of market scenarios, higher than traditional financial advisors.
Working at Ellevest
Ellevest is a leading tech company in New York City, with a thriving team across our engineering, product, marketing, client experience, investments, and operations organizations. We place a major emphasis on building a team and working environment where individuals can succeed professionally and personally. As a team member at Ellevest, you can expect to make a difference through your work, to have a direct impact on the achievement of a very meaningful mission, to significantly advance your career trajectory, and to have room for fun and fulfillment in your daily life. We know that achieving a mission as critical as ours requires incredible talent and teamwork, and team is the most important thing to us.
In 2019, Ellevest was named as one of LinkedIn’s 50 Hottest Companies to Work For, as well as a spot on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list, “identifying start-ups on the cutting edge of huge consumer, tech and business shifts” — both for the second year in a row. In 2017, Ellevest was named one of Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Ideas, and CNBC listed Ellevest as one of their Top 25 Most Promising Startups on a path to becoming tomorrow’s household names. We are working every day to make this a reality, and create a brand and a service that closes the female money gap.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Note: Instead of a cover letter, we ask you to answer the three questions at the bottom of this application.
Back to top