Elastic is a search company built on a free and open heritage. Anyone can use Elastic products and solutions to get started quickly and frictionlessly. Elastic offers three solutions for enterprise search, observability, and security, built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Cisco, eBay, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe and is publicly traded on the NYSE under the symbol ESTC. Learn more at elastic.co.
The Observability team is in charge of developing solutions that focus on application developers and engineers that run infrastructure and services supporting these applications. Elasticsearch is an efficient datastore for logs, metrics, and application traces, supporting the three pillars of observability. The Observability team builds and maintains solutions that make getting insights from this data turnkey and efficient, such as our APM , Infrastructure Monitoring , Logs , and Uptime solutions. When developing these solutions, we think about the problem end-to-end: how do we automatically collect data from common data sources, how do we store it efficiently in Elasticsearch, how do we present this information to the user, what actions do we take on the insights from the data? All of these aspects are important in bringing a turnkey solution to the market.
As the Engineering Manager for Elastic Agent in Observability you will be working in the team focusing on the platform that manages our data shippers used to collect and ingest events. This team manages the coordination of data shippers, their integration with central management capabilities (Fleet) and with Elastic Cloud. The goal of this team is to build high quality, high performance, low overhead and easy to solution to collect data which is the core of Elastic Agent. You will participate in roadmap and project planning efforts and will have ownership for delivering it. You'll be participating in project management efforts as the teams execute on plans together with the Tech Lead and Product Manager.
We believe that engineering complex, pluggable software for the web that is built to last the test of time is both tricky and exciting. Doing so requires a team of diverse individuals, with sharp minds and the ability to empathise with our users, working together with mutual respect and a common mission.
We care deeply about giving you full ownership of what you're working on. Our company fundamentally believes great minds achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers, which is clearly visible throughout our organization. At Elastic, hierarchy does not determine how decisions get made. We feel that anyone needs to be in the position to comment on anything, regardless of their role within the company.
What you will be working on
- Manage, mentor and lead a globally distributed team of engineers working on system level software in Golang for Elastic Agent and related components.
- Lead the efficient delivery for time-boxed software releases, ensuring high quality and innovative feature development
- Work with our Product Management team to define requirements
- Foster a culture of mutual respect, collaboration and consensus based decision-making
- Stay true to the principles of software development as adopted by our team
- Build roadmaps and lead prioritization; balance the right amount of structure and planning for a fast-paced engineering team
- Identify resource requirements and help drive recruitment of high quality colleagues
- Support the development and training of direct reports through regular performance evaluations
- Be an awesome person to work with, somebody who sincerely empathizes with others
- Experience hiring, developing, managing and leading distributed teams of software engineers.
- Ability to work in a distributed team throughout the world.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to drive conversations across multiple teams to a conclusion.
- Previous experience working with stakeholders outside of Engineering
- You know and care about writing performant software and have traced and fixed performance issues yourself.
- Ability to work in a fast paced start-up environment
- Ability to work independently
- Significant experience as a hands-on software engineer so you understand the core principles of the engineering work that is going on in your team
- Experience creating system level software and back-end services on Unix and Windows.
- Strong preference for Open Source experience
- Exposure to Observability, Performance or Availability tools or services
- Hands-on experience with Docker and Kubernetes
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you're looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave