Nothing truly inspirational happens overnight. It takes an entire team to deliver something which changes people’s lives. Together we work hard, we laugh a lot, and revise what we offer constantly. We need help to build products that inspire wanderlust and personal connection in people, and that’s where you come in…
EF is the world leader in international education. Our mission is to open the world through education and so far we have helped over 15 million people learn a language, discover the world or earn an academic degree.
We have fifteen subsidiaries and non-profit organizations, as well as 500 schools and offices in 52 countries and we employ 37,000 staff and teachers. In today’s increasingly complex and interdependent world our mission is more relevant than ever.
The Director of User Experience is responsible for synthesising customer needs into useful, usable and desirable product experiences and interfaces. You are expected to provide a variety of methods and problem-solving tools to create user-centred solutions for both long-term and short-term initiatives. This role will need to lead as well as collaborate across teams to define the end-to-end user experience for EF Education First’s extensive online & mobile marketing campaigns and websites. If you thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and long to work on products that truly transform people’s lives on a global scale, get in touch. This position is located in our Zurich office. We are open to relocation for the right candidate to Switzerland.
- Build a world-class user experience, interaction design and user research methodology inspired to tackle transformative design challenges on a truly global scale.
- Define best practices and create interaction pattern libraries and tools to share knowledge across teams
- Facilitate brainstorms and working sessions with cross-disciplinary teams. Manage and appropriately involve key stakeholders for buy-in and sign-off design milestones. Collaborate. Collaborate. And collaborate again.
- Leverage leadership skills and domain expertise to be a passionate visionary for fantastic customer learning experiences inside and outside the company.
- Work in partnership with product management, marketing and the development team to identify, plan and facilitate formal and guerrilla user research, usability testing and other feedback mechanisms as appropriate. Provide appropriate quantitative and qualitative assessments of customer needs and market opportunities
- Define and document user experience requirements for EF’s websites and campaigns. Employ a range of human-centred design processes and tools such as mental models, personas, use scenarios, prototypes, site maps, wireframes, task flows, and puppet shows (just seeing if you’re paying attention). Collaborate closely with product management to define user stories and integrate these tools into an agile development process.
- Serve as a customer advocate in development efforts and the broader organization. Create relevant communications to engage cross-functional teams towards promoting design thinking and a customer-centric culture.
- Monitor competitive and complimentary product experiences and trends. Document best practices and identify opportunities to deliver innovative and immersive learning, sharing and habit forming experiences.
- Work in partnership with product management, sales, marketing and the development team to ship exemplary products.
- A charismatic leader who combines a user-centred mind set with wicked creativity
- Five or more years of experience leading a design and/or UX team and developing interactive products as an Experience designer, Information architect, or Interaction designer
- Demonstrated experience designing for multiple platforms, including mobile, and the various functions of a consumer web experience
- Experience with multiple user research methods such as contextual inquiry, surveys, usability testing, and card sorting
- Demonstrate and model deep understanding of the value of other disciplines and their interaction with design/ user experience
- Excellent written and oral skills to communicate clearly and negotiate effectively with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptional information presentation. You may not think of yourself as a graphic designer, but you know how to use a grid and quality typography makes you a bit giddy.
- An advanced degree or significant training in a related field, such as human-computer interaction, user research, design planning, library science, graphic design, or industrial design is preferred
- Experience working across locations and time zones
If you are motivated by the prospect of an international career with a dynamic and forward-thinking company, then we want to hear from you.
We are 40,500 staff, faculty and teachers, working in 500 offices and schools across 52 countries. While we continue to grow, we strive to stay small so as to ensure agility, smart thinking and a fun place to work. For the past 50 years, EF has grown to include a range of programs that give students of all ages the freedom and confidence to explore the world through language, travel and education.
Located across the globe, our language centers for youth, adults and professionals combine the best of traditional, in-school teaching with innovative language-learning technology. We offer intensive language instruction abroad in English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese and Chinese. Courses run from 2 to 52 weeks for students traveling independently or in escorted groups of all levels and abilities. Classes take place in our international language centers in one of 16 countries and offer the very best locations and accommodation whether in local host family or in a student residence.
Back to top