Site Reliability Engineer
- London, United Kingdom
Education First (EF) is a world-leading language learning company. EF EdTech is the division whose mission is to revolutionize the ways students, parents and teachers engage with their subject and with one another.
At EF we engineer solutions to design, build, test and maintain large-scale, fault-tolerant distributed systems. We combine software and systems engineering to ensure that both our internally critical and our externally visible systems are highly available. We strive to provide practices such as blameless postmortems, proactive identification of potential outages and reducing operational work via automation.
Our team is made up of a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We encourage self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we provide an environment with the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow.
- Engage in and improve the whole lifecycle of services—through deployment, operation and refinement.
- Collaborate with application teams before the launch of a new service by running activities such as system design consulting, developing software platforms and frameworks, capacity planning and launch reviews.
- Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health.
- Run High Availability hybrid cloud platform services internationally inc.
- BSc, BEng in Computer Science, other technical subjects, or equivalent qualification or technical experience.
- Knowledge of network protocols/services (TCP/IP, DNS, VPN, firewalls, load balancers) and shell scripting.
- Knowledge of Linux.
- Experience in one or more of the following: C++, Java, Python or Go.
- Experience with at least one of the major cloud providers: AWS, Azure or GCP.
- Experience with IaC framework (Terraform, Ansible, Packer …)
- Experience running infrastructure for consumer-facing services, ideally for a mass market.
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience with CI/CD tools and pipelines.
- Best practices for security, monitoring, logging and alerting.
WHAT WE OFFER
- The opportunity to have a positive, and genuine, impact on people’s lives.
- Work with an amazing team of designers, engineers, academics and product people.
- We continue to invest in flexible ways to work supported by our beautiful, multi-national office based in London containing great facilities such as an onsite gym, with free fitness and wellness classes, and considered designed social spaces.
- As a global company with premium offices worldwide, you will have a network of locales to exchange between as you grow with the company.
- A competitive salary with 25 days holiday.
- Private medical insurance, and a wide array of employee benefits and support in place.
- Regular social activities.
Back to top