Job Title: Food & Beverage Senior Assistant (Senior Waiter/Waitress)
Location: Ashridge, Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, HP4 1NS
Reports To: Food & Beverage Services Supervisor
Our Food & Beverage (F&B) team have the task of serving breakfast, lunch and dinner throughout the year to clients visiting Ashridge House for their business and social events. We have a main dining room that serves up to 160 diners, plus other function rooms throughout the House and that’s not to mention preparing and serving staff food. With a wide range of dining experiences on offer, staff gain exposure to fine dining service at bespoke events and weddings, in addition to daily buffet and private dining room service. The team always work to ensure that the client’s visit is a memorable experience.
The purpose of this role is to provide a first class service in all food service areas and the bar.
- Ability to work unsupervised and use initiative within department policy
- Assist with cellar management and stock control
- Assist with stock control of all glassware, linen, uniforms, and small equipment items
- Attending and contributing in communication meetings within Food & Beverage, and as a representative of the F&B team within wider hospitality communication forums
- Assisting with the development and training of F&B assistants
- Undertaking duties in all areas of the Food & Beverage function. This not only includes the dining rooms, the bar and at private functions, but also satellite areas, the still room and glass polishing areas. Eg;-
- Ability to identify and organise mise-en-place without supervision
- Serving drinks in the bar and, demonstrate wine knowledge to help guests select a suitable accompaniment to their dinner choice
- Identifying the needs of clients and being able to communicate these needs effectively, under the guiding hand of the supervisor. In short going that extra mile to provide that premier service
- Laying, clearing and waiting at tables, in the dining rooms.
- If required, general clearing down duties - including floor washing, surface cleaning and ironing of table linen.
Hours of work
Annualised hours contract, averaging 40 hours per week, working shifts as required including weekends and bank holidays. Day range is from 0600 to 0100 hours.
- Experienced in working in a busy catering environment
- A passion for and knowledge of food and beverage
- Service skills appropriate to a prestige venue
- Awareness of health & safety and food safety legislation
- Experience of and ability to address and resolve customer complaints
- Excellent customer service High standard of personal appearance
- High standard of service and be quality driven with an eye for detail
- Happy working as part of a team
- Interpersonal and organisational skills
- Confident with communication at all levels
- A 'Can do' attitude
- Maintain a calm attitude when under pressure
- not afraid to use own initiative if a situation requires
- Willingness to learn and adapt to new ideas and changes
As this role involves carrying equipment, pushing trolleys and being on your feet for considerable periods of time, a fair degree of physical fitness is required.
Ashridge House is a beautiful Grade 1 listed heritage property with world-class conference and training facilities. It is also the home campus of Ashridge Executive Education (one of three operating divisions of Hult International Business School) and the perfect location for corporate meetings and private events.
Ashridge House hosts both day and residential events for between 2 and 250 people, welcoming guests from all over the world. Set in extensive parkland in the Hertfordshire countryside, the magnificent neo-gothic mansion provides the complete meeting experience for our clients. Our beautiful private dining rooms in the historic Main House are available for functions, and our extensive 190 acre estate is ideal for teambuilding activities. In 2015 the team was again awarded Gold Standard for customer service in the BDRC Venue Verdict accreditation - providing the very best customer service is at the heart of what we do.
Benefits include 25 days holiday, meals and refreshments while on duty, free use of the leisure facilities and access to the company pension scheme and healthcare schemes. It is essential to have your own transport and free parking is available.
Please note that you must have the right to work in EU to be considered for this position.
At the heart of Ashridge Executive Education is the Ashridge (Bonar Law Memorial) Trust, a major UK charity incorporated by Act of Parliament that exists to provide global executive education together with appropriate research and to maintain Ashridge House and Gardens for the benefit of the nation. The Ashridge site in Berkhamsted acts as both the hub for this global operation and as a major conference centre.
See Inside the Office of EF Education First
EF Education First is the world leader in international education. At EF, everything employees do is centered around the company’s mission: opening the world through education. Since it was founded 50 years ago, EF’s language learning, educational travel, and cultural exchange programs have helped people of all ages and nationalities become citizens of the world.
Back to top