Job Title: School Counselor
Manager: Michelle Ferrera
School Year: 2018-2019
Revision Date: June 2015
The school counselor reports to the Director of Guidance and works collaboratively with other counselors as a valuable team member overseeing the academic and social welfare of students at EF Academy in New York. This person works in a boarding school environment and fully understands the importance of being both flexible and patient when it pertains to policies and procedures.
- Academic Counseling, class changes, academic support (arrange tutoring, student teacher meetings, one-on-one work)
- Promoting students’ understanding of both their rights and responsibilities as school and community citizens; maintaining and defining procedures in the Student Handbook and the school’s Code of Conduct.
- Facilitating conflict resolution and implementing anti-bullying school initiatives.
- Providing student mediation between roommates, classmates, friends, faculty, administrators, and family members.
- Meet with students having emotional issues, disciplinary problems, academic problems that adversely affected their lives.
- Work in a supportive role with the University Advising team preparing juniors and seniors for the university application process; including testing, essay writing, college visits, on-campus school visits.
- Send and receive information to worldwide admissions office’s pertaining to student’s lives, issues, requests and educational future.
- Effectively communicate with parents in collaboration and with the support of the worldwide admissions office’s
- Encouraging students become involved in clubs, sports, field trips, student organized events, etc.
- Master’s degree in Counseling field
- Demonstrate a “can-do” attitude
- Experience in independent boarding school life preferred
- Demonstrates successful experience in working with adolescents in an educational setting
- Excellent organizational and human relations skills
- Ability to organize work and set priorities to meet changing deadlines
- Effectively establish and maintain strong working relationship with all constituents
- Have a pleasant and collegial approach to work and, ideally, a sense of humor
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization
See Inside the Office of EF Education First
EF Education First is the world leader in international education. At EF, everything employees do is centered around the company’s mission: opening the world through education. Since it was founded 50 years ago, EF’s language learning, educational travel, and cultural exchange programs have helped people of all ages and nationalities become citizens of the world.
Back to top