Health Safety and Environment Officer (maternity cover) - Part-time
Job Title: Health, Safety and Environment Officer (maternity cover) 9-12 months FTC - 20 hours per week
Location: Ashridge, Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, HP4 1NS
Reports To: Health, Safety and Environment Manager
Competitive salary offered
Closing date for applications 4th September 2017
Ashridge is one of the leading centers for executive education, based in a Grade 1 listed building surrounded by National Trust woodland. Inside Ashridge there is a host of operational departments working together to meet the training needs of our clients be that an outdoor exercise in our stunning gardens, a private dinner in the house or flying around the world to deliver training. It is important that all departments and activities should function as smoothly as possible.
The role will suit a newly qualified professional who has a can do attitude, enjoys a challenge and is able to think on his/her feet. The successful candidate will assist the Health, Safety and Envirinment Manager to provide a comprehensive Health, Safety and Environment service to the Ashridge estate.
Reporting to the Health, Safety and Environment Manager you will be responsible for assisting with the development and implementation of Health, Safety and Environment best practice, while ensuring the Company complies with current Health and Safety legislation, approved codes of practice and current HSE guidance, carrying out risk assessments and risk reduction.
- Monitor working practices for safety, environmental impact and compliance with relevant legislation, including COSHH, fire regulations, food hygiene, hazardous substances such as asbestos, noise, confined spaces, working at height, safeguarding machinery, stress management, DSE and occupational diseases etc.
- Prepare Health, Safety and Environment action plans and assist with developing and delivering internal procedures and policies.
- Identify and sometimes lead initiatives for continual improvement to assist with maintaining ISO14001 and ISO50001 accreditation.
- Recommend improvements to safe operational procedures which identify and take into account all relevant hazards
- In accordance with agreed plans carry out regular site inspections and audits to check policies and procedures are being properly implemented.
- Prepare relevant data for required submissions.
- Deliver in-house training with managers and employees about Health Safety and Environment issues and risks.
- Maintain records, including inspection findings, incident/accident reporting, investigations and produce monitoring reports with improvements suggestions.
- Assist with communication to Ashridge staff and managers
- Keep up to date with new legislation and maintain a working knowledge of all Health, Safety and Environment legislation and any developments that affect the business
- To undertake any other reasonable duties or responsibilities as directed by the Health Safety and Environment Manager.
- Member of the Institute of Occupational Health (AIOSH)
- Attend Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) seminars and read professional journals.
- Work is generally office based, although a fair amount of time will be spent working in different areas of the Estate, 70%/30%
- Some activities may involve working at height, in cramped conditions or in noisy, dirty or dangerous places, though this is not the typical work environment.
- PPE is provided for when working in different parts of the Ashridge Estate
This role will be 20 hours per week hours to be determined generally worked Monday to Friday between the hours of 9am and 5pm however please note, Ashridge is a twenty-four-hour operation so some out of hours, weekend and bank holiday working may be required dependent on business activities.
NEBOSH Certificate or equivalent along with the following skills
- Good knowledge of HSE and environmental legislation and regulations
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills –someone who can ensure compliance but bring everyone with them
- Influencing skills
- Team working
- Adept in data creation – competent excel (data base) user
- The ability to understand and analyse complex information and present it simply and accurately
- An investigative mind
- Attention to detail
- A flexible approach to work
- Ability to manage your own workload
Ashridge House is a beautiful Grade 1 listed heritage property with world-class conference and training facilities. It is also the home campus of Ashridge Executive Education (one of three operating divisions of Hult International Business School) and the perfect location for corporate meetings and private events.
Ashridge House hosts both day and residential events for between 2 and 250 people, welcoming guests from all over the world. Set in extensive parkland in the Hertfordshire countryside, the magnificent neo-gothic mansion provides the complete meeting experience for our clients. Our beautiful private dining rooms in the historic Main House are available for functions, and our extensive 190 acre estate is ideal for teambuilding activities. In 2016 the team was again awarded Gold Standard for customer service in the BDRC Venue Verdict accreditation - providing the very best customer service is at the heart of what we do.
Benefits include 25 days holiday (pro-rata), meals and refreshments while on duty, free use of the leisure facilities and access to the company pension scheme and healthcare schemes. It is essential to have your own transport; free parking is available.
Please note that you must have the right to work in EU to be considered for this position.
At the heart of Ashridge Executive Education is the Ashridge (Bonar Law Memorial) Trust, a major UK charity incorporated by Act of Parliament that exists to provide global executive education together with appropriate research and to maintain Ashridge House and Gardens for the benefit of the nation. The Ashridge site in Berkhamsted acts as both the hub for this global operation and as a major conference center.
See Inside the Office of EF Education First
EF Education First is the world leader in international education. At EF, everything employees do is centered around the company’s mission: opening the world through education. Since it was founded 50 years ago, EF’s language learning, educational travel, and cultural exchange programs have helped people of all ages and nationalities become citizens of the world.
Back to top