ET Tour Director
GO PLACES WITH US: BE A TOUR DIRECTOR
EF’s mission is opening the world through education.
For years, EF Educational Tours has helped teachers and students from North America discover the world through culturally immersive educational travel. Through experiential learning, they gain new perspectives, develop important skills and become true global citizens, all at the guaranteed lowest price.
The best part of any EF tour is having an insightful, culturally connected Tour Director. As well as organizing the logistical running of the itinerary, they contribute to their group’s understanding and appreciation of European culture, with a focus on Italian history and languages. For us there is no stereotypical Tour Director profile, but one thing every EF Tour Director has in common is a passion to share their experience and knowledge with others.
Our Tour Directors
From reconfirming bookings and performing hotel safety checks, to leading experiential activities and delivering engaging commentary, the Tour Director role is varied, challenging and fun. Ultimately, you will ensure the pre-defined itinerary is followed, bringing your group between destinations safely and efficiently, while providing educational commentary and guidance. You will know which sites are a must-see, be able to suggest the best places to eat and shop, and share insider information with your group.
Great organizational and inter-personal skills are needed for a range of tasks, such as explaining how to navigate the Italian streets, delivering coach commentary or coordinating hotel check-in. You must be diplomatic and able to think on your feet while always providing a high level of customer service.
Our work at EF changes lives - as a Tour Director; you will play an integral role in that process.
We need people who are:
- Organized – you will be juggling many responsibilities while ensuring a beautiful tour experience
- Personable – being approachable and friendly will help you build rapport with students and adults
- Excellent communicator – the ability to listen and clearly convey a message are very important on tour
- Passionate - about the power of educational travel and sharing new cultures with others
- Resilient – the ability to be positive and continue forward, even in demanding situations
- Knowledgeable – about Europe: history, culture, languages, current affairs. You will be answering many questions.
- Professional – on tour, you are the face of EF
- Problem solvers – problems can arise and you will have to make the right decisions to fix them
- Flexible – situations can change quickly on tour. It is important that you are able to remain flexible and open to change, while focusing on finding the best solution
- Calm under pressure – in addition to remaining flexible, it is important to stay calm on tour. The group will have put their trust in you, and it is important to keep calm when dealing with uncertainty
- Perceptive – leading a tour becomes much easier if you are aware and tuned into the group
You will typically be offered work around 90 days before a tour is due to depart. Our peak periods are around Easter and June to July. We need to you to be available to lead tours during our peaks. Work is seasonal and your offers will be on a tour-by-tour, freelance basis.
You will benefit from the varied materials and resources we have online and in house at our Regional Offices, but you will be expected to research the interests of your group, as well as the history and culture of the destinations you will be visiting. You will be asked many questions!
If travelling across Europe (specifically Italy), making an impact, and sharing the places you love interests you, then you might be what we are looking for!
Complete the following application form and attach a photo. If your application is successful, you will be invited to take part in an initial screening and/or a selection day. This typically happens in the autumn. Successful applicants will then go through to our preparation days during the winter.
See Inside the Office of EF Education First
EF Education First is the world leader in international education. At EF, everything employees do is centered around the company’s mission: opening the world through education. Since it was founded 50 years ago, EF’s language learning, educational travel, and cultural exchange programs have helped people of all ages and nationalities become citizens of the world.
Back to top