Director of User Experience Design
Longing to create products that truly transform people’s lives? Looking for a bit of adventure in your next career move? In the heart of bustling Shanghai is a collection of designers, software engineers, linguists, teachers and product leaders set to transform learning as we know it. EF Education First is the world’s largest private education company. EF Labs is our global research and development unit charged with using design and new technologies to create a fundamentally better way for students to learn. EF Labs is building the first massively-scalable global education business.
The Director of User Experience is responsible for synthesizing customer needs into useful, usable and desirable product experiences and interfaces. You are expected to provide a variety of methods and problem-solving tools to create user-centered product solutions for both long-term and short-term initiatives. This role will need to lead as well as collaborate across teams to define the end-to-end user experience for EF Education First’s extensive online, mobile and classroom based educational technology platform. If you thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and long to work on products that truly transform people’s lives on a global scale. Get in touch. We are open to relocation for the right candidate.
- Lead a world-class user experience, interaction design and user research team inspired to tackle transformative design challenges on a truly global scale.
- Define best practices and create interaction pattern libraries and tools to share knowledge across teams and businesses
- Work in partnership with product management, marketing and the development team to identify, plan and facilitate formal and guerilla user research, usability testing and other feedback mechanisms as appropriate. Provide appropriate quantitative and qualitative assessments of customer needs and market opportunities, including direct involvement of product users with the development team.
- Define and document user experience requirements for EF’s online, mobile and classroom based products. Employ a range of human-centered design processes and tools such as mental models, personas, use scenarios, prototypes, site maps, wireframes and task flows. Collaborate closely with product management to define user stories and integrate these tools into an agile development process.
- Balance user experience priorities with business realities and the need to ship great products on time.
- Serve as a customer advocate in development efforts and the broader organization. Promote design thinking within the business.
- Monitor competitive and complimentary product experiences and trends. Document best practices and identify opportunities to deliver innovative and immersive learning, sharing and habit forming experiences.
- Facilitate brainstorms and working sessions with cross-disciplinary teams. Manage and appropriately involve key stakeholders for buy-in and sign-off design milestones. Collaborate. Collaborate. And collaborate again.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- A charismatic leader who combines a user-centered mindset with wicked creativity
- Eight or more years of experience leading a design team and developing interactive products as an Experience designer, Information architect, or Interaction designer
- Demonstrated experience designing for multiple platforms, including mobile, and the various functions of a consumer web experience
- Experience with multiple user research methods such as contextual inquiry, surveys, usability testing, and card sorting
- Demonstrate and model deep understanding of the value of other disciplines, and their interaction with design/ user experience
- Excellent written and oral skills to communicate clearly and negotiate effectively with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptional information presentation. You may not think of yourself as a graphic designer, but you know how to use a grid and quality typography makes you a bit giddy.
- An advanced degree or significant post-undergraduate training in a related field, such as human-computer interaction, user research, design planning, library science, graphic design, or industrial design is preferred
- Experience working across locations and time zones
- A keen interest in educational technology, design for motivation, and international research
- Chinese language proficiency not required, but experience with bilingual research and design is highly beneficial
A Global Company
EF’s scale catches some by surprise. We have over 400 offices and schools spanning more than 50 countries, and a workforce comprising 120 nationalities. EF is all over the globe. And that means your creative voice can be too.
If you’re a creative, “Corporate” is probably a bad word. We get that. And while someone needs to wield Excel to pay you, EF is family-owned and entrepreneurial. That means if you have a good idea you can get it made.
HOW TO APPLY
Ready for a challenge? Contact us by detailing your qualifications, experience and interest in this position.
See Inside the Office of EF Education First
EF Education First is the world leader in international education. At EF, everything employees do is centered around the company’s mission: opening the world through education. Since it was founded 50 years ago, EF’s language learning, educational travel, and cultural exchange programs have helped people of all ages and nationalities become citizens of the world.
Back to top