If you’re the type of art director who reads the question, “What do an aged Gouda and a handmade Louis Vuitton wallet have to do with each other?” and immediately wonders who the hilarious weirdos are who came up with such a question, we want to talk to you.
And yeah, it’s a weird question, and yeah, we’ll get into why we came up with it—but first, let’s get into the details of our open Art Director position.
- Are looking to continue making great work but without any of the B.S. that normally gets in the way (e.g. clients who treat you like [insert poop emoji here], co-workers with giant egos and attitudes, piles of red tape, and layers of approvals.) You’ve lived through that stuff but you’re over it. So are we, and we don’t put up with any of that at EF.
- Always put Team above Self.
- Are both Maker & Manager.
- Have a genuine interest in and excitement for managing and mentoring younger creatives (and already have experience managing staff).
- Look at every project, no matter its budget or scope, as an opportunity.
- Are able to produce for both print and digital (and, most likely, beyond). We’re not looking for a unicorn but we are looking for someone with a “whatever it takes” attitude who, if you don’t know it, will jump in and figure it out.
- Are always questioning why something has to be done a certain way, just because that’s always how it’s been done. You love to challenge the norm but know how, where, and when to give.
- Are an awesome Designer. (This should go without saying, but we’ll say it anyway. We’re looking for someone who can help to raise the bar on creative and bring others along on that journey.)
- Love chips and dip and/or cereal. (Okay, this one’s optional, but we do promise your enjoyment of the day-to-day at EF will be much higher if you do.)
- Are the in-house agency for EF Tours. You can check out some of our work at ef.com, and you’ll quickly see that we’re not the stereotypical in-house agency.
- Have a gang of about 40 staff, based in 2 offices (Cambridge, MA and Toronto, Canada)
- Are writers, designers, UXers (designers, researchers, and analysts), video editors and shooters, producers, photographers, and more. We can make anything the business needs and create whatever we can dream up, all in house.
- Are a spirited bunch with an incredibly diverse set of skills—from competitive fencing to professional shoe testing to artisan bag-making to taking care of a fainting goat named Brian. (Really.)
- Are a passionate crew that focuses on making great work and having fun doing it.
- Is the widest range of projects you’ll ever find at one agency. And since we have no external agencies, we get to do it all, from 200 page catalogues to billboards, websites to videos shot in exotic locations, email/display campaigns to backpacks (literally down to the color and placement of every stitch).
- We do everything from the classic (or stereotypical if you insist) in-house work to the crazy-amazing career-making campaigns and everything in between. But no matter what the assignment, we view every project as an opportunity to make something we’re psyched to put in our portfolios and show off to our moms.
The Perks (and this is the abbreviated list)
- 3 weeks of paid vacation to start, 4 weeks after your first year
- $1500 for professional development/continued education each year
- All expenses paid international travel
- Free in-house language classes
- Annual team boat trip (along with other team outings throughout the year)
- Discounts on all those ubiquitous Apple products you can’t live without
- Free nicknames (we tend to nickname everyone, which will either send you running towards or, very quickly, away from us)
A tiny bit about EF Education First
The company was founded over 50 years ago on the idea that the best way to learn is to go out into the world and experience it. Over the last several decades, EF has grown to more than 40,000 teachers and staff in 500 schools and offices in over 50 countries.
Big, right? The interesting thing is that we don’t operate that way. It’s the best of a small company approach, atmosphere, and energy with the backing and support of a big one. Got an idea that will change the way we do business? Bring it up, and it can actually get implemented here. That’s pretty cool, and not something you’ll ever find at a traditional agency.
So going back to that whole Gouda meets Louis Vuitton thing at the top
See, the thing is, we get these ideas sometimes (okay, a LOT of times—we’re weird, but it works.) Sometimes these ideas don’t really go anywhere but make us laugh so hard that we nearly ruin the carpets. And other times, those weird ideas turn into actual projects we can actually create. So if the idea of a Cheese Wallet™ intrigues you, then you intrigue us. So apply to join our band of weirdos, and see if you can come up with the next weird thing that ends up in our next job description.
Back to top