Academic Manager - Torquay Homestay or Residence
* Please note homestay roles are only available if you can provide your own accommodation in the advertised location.
* Please only apply to one EF International Language Centers - Summer Camps job, based on your preferred role and location/accommodation type.
Who You Are
- Are you a natural leader, who loves managing and coaching people to be their best?
- Do you believe engagement, interaction and fun are key to successful EFL learning?
- Are you passionate about cultural and international exchange?
- Are you tech-savvy and quick at learning new IT skills and systems?
If so, this role could be the one for you.
As an Academic Manager, you assume overall responsibility for the academic program at at one of our EF summer schools. This role includes providing oversight, management and coaching to your team of EFL teachers, through regular in-classroom observations and feedback sessions. You are also responsible for leading trainings, for developing and implementing online inductions, and for assisting teachers with lesson planning, paperwork, and classroom management. This is a high-energy role that requires a strong leader and manager, someone who can provide tools, training and guidance such that their EFL Teachers can deliver fun, engaging and successful learning experiences.
- Setting up the school and physically ensuring all classrooms meet EF specifications, and are maintained throughout the season.
- Allocating teachers and classrooms to groups of students, and playing a ‘hands on’ role in allocating students into classes on the first days in school.
- Managing academic stock including exam papers, certificates and equipment and making sure teaching team has the required stock.
- Managing all teaching staff at your Centre, and working together with other Senior Staff to ensure full integration of teaching staff into team.
- Coordinating timetables for all academic groups, and keeping up to date in EF’s production system.
- Collating and reviewing academic paperwork, and inputting data into the system.
- Welfare and discipline within the classroom.
- Dealing with problems and emergency situations should they arise
- Delivering initial teacher briefing, daily and weekly meetings.
- Teacher observations, feedback and development.
- Face-to-face TEFL (eg. CELTA, minimum 100 hours) or a State Teacher Credential (PGCE, B.Ed, MA) plus training in EFL/EAL.
- Qualifications due to be completed in the current academic year will also be considered.
- Minimum six months’ teaching experience or one summer teaching for EF.
- Enthusiastic, organised and a natural leader.
- Capable of using your own initiative.
- Is business-minded with a strong sense of customer service and attention to detail.
- Have the right to live and work in the country of employment.
- Complete fluency in English.
- Attend a Senior Staff Training weekend prior to your contract commencing.
We are 43,500 staff, faculty and teachers, working in 500 offices and schools across 52 countries. While we continue to grow, we strive to stay small so as to ensure agility, smart thinking and a fun place to work. For the past 50 years, EF has grown to include a range of programs that give students of all ages the freedom and confidence to explore the world through language, travel and education.
Located across the globe, our language centers for youth, adults and professionals combine the best of traditional, in-school teaching with innovative language-learning technology. We offer intensive language instruction abroad in English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese and Chinese. Courses run from 2 to 52 weeks for students traveling independently or in escorted groups of all levels and abilities. Classes take place in our international language centers in one of 16 countries and offer the very best locations and accommodation whether in local host family or in a student residence.
See Inside the Office of EF Education First
EF Education First is the world leader in international education. At EF, everything employees do is centered around the company’s mission: opening the world through education. Since it was founded 50 years ago, EF’s language learning, educational travel, and cultural exchange programs have helped people of all ages and nationalities become citizens of the world.
Back to top