EF International Language Centres is looking for an experienced leader to direct the academic team at our Toronto location. This position includes managing 15+ part-time and full-time teachers, as well as directing all functional and logistical aspects of the academic program. EF is the market leader in a growing industry at the crossroads of education and travel. The hallmarks of success in this role are passion, ability to think quickly on your feet and attention to detail.
The role: EF Toronto is one of the largest private ESL schools in the city. As the Academic Director, you will be responsible for implementing academic excellence, while managing a team of teachers, working closely with the School Director in operations.
Duties and responsibilities: Your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Provide academic excellence across all programs at the Toronto school, with strong implementation of Efekta learning (EF curriculum and teaching methods)
- Develop and maintain a high quality teaching team who demonstrate the EF core values
- Advise students regarding classes, programs, schedules and academic goals
- Maintain strong control of the academic department finances, including teaching costs and class sizes
- Create and schedule classes to meet needs of the school
- Within a unionized setting, lead teacher training and development; including classroom observations, feedback and annual performance reviews
- Liaise internally with the academic operations team and the academic departments in North America, as well as EF offices worldwide
- Assist in the development of the courses and course programs of the school in Toronto
- Liaise with School Director and work with school’s administration team
- Master’s degree in TESOL or related field·preferred
- Direct management/supervisory experience (3 years min.) and excellent leadership
- Minimum 3 years’ teaching experience to adult students in an ESL environment
- Highly motivated, proactive and positive
- Proven record of flexible and creative decision-making
- Organized and thorough and able to work well under pressure and within strict time constraints
- Excellent planning and organization skills, with good attention to detail
- The ability to provide exceptional customer service to large volumes of students on a daily basis
- Previous experience in course or curriculum development
- Previous experience with a unionized environment would be preferred
- Must meet TESL Canada requirements
EF Education First is an international education company focusing on language, academics, and cultural experience. With a mission to open the world through education, EF was founded in 1965.
We are 43,500 staff, faculty and teachers, working in 500 offices and schools across 53 countries. While we continue to grow, we strive to stay small so as to ensure agility, smart thinking and a fun place to work. For the past 50 years, EF has grown to include a range of programs that give students of all ages the freedom and confidence to explore the world through language, travel and education.
Located across the globe, our language centers for youth, adults and professionals combine the best of traditional, in-school teaching with innovative language-learning technology. We offer intensive language instruction abroad in English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese and Chinese. Courses run from 2 to 52 weeks for students traveling independently or in escorted groups of all levels and abilities. Classes take place in our international language centers in one of 16 countries and offer the very best locations and accommodation whether in local host family or in a student residence.
We are travelers, innovators, doers and thinkers. We are open and collaborative, we are dedicated and passionate – we really work hard, and then we play hard. We believe in opening the world through education and we are proud of the role that we can play in that.
EF is an equal opportunities employer. EF offers competitive salaries and a multicultural working environment. If you are motivated by the prospect of an international career with a dynamic and forward-thinking company, we want to hear from you.
See Inside the Office of EF Education First
EF Education First is the world leader in international education. At EF, everything employees do is centered around the company’s mission: opening the world through education. Since it was founded 50 years ago, EF’s language learning, educational travel, and cultural exchange programs have helped people of all ages and nationalities become citizens of the world.
Back to top