Senior Product & Commercial Counsel
At Edelman Financial Engines, we believe every hardworking American deserves to move their financial life forward, and we’re growing our team so we can help more clients every day.
We are seeking a talented Product and Commercial Counsel to join our Legal team in Boston, Fairfax or Sunnyvale.
- Provide comprehensive legal and related guidance that enables initial and ongoing development of new or enhanced advisory, retirement and related services.
- Navigate and negotiate complex commercial and technology agreements, balancing core considerations of business, legal, regulatory, security and privacy.
- Identify fundamental internal and external trends relating to legal and regulatory review of new or enhanced services, and provide strategy and direction for product review function.
- Work with our product teams to ensure new and existing services and related advertising and communication materials meet all applicable legal and regulatory requirements and comply with company policies and standards.
- Function as a strategic partner to the product and marketing teams, providing advice on all stages of product and service development.
- Designing, building, and improving legal department processes.
- Champion savvy risk management within the supported business teams.
- Learn company patent, trademark and copyright portfolios and monitor appropriate usage.
- Develop and present relevant training to business partners.
- Provide legal support on regulatory examinations and inquiries by state and federal regulators.
- Special projects as requested.
- Understanding of Investment Advisers Act of 1940, intellectual property law, complex commercial and technology agreements.
- Able to engage and provide advice and guidance to product and service development business partners in a collaborative manner that furthers the firm’s business objectives and risk management requirements.
- Able to interface with senior management confidently and professionally, including influencing without authority.
- Committed to providing creative, calibrated, practical and balanced solutions.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, including the ability to explain complex regulatory and commercial concepts to various internal and external audiences.
- Top presentation skills and ability to present ideas in a persuasive manner.
- Strong process and knowledge management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute immediately in a challenging and fast-paced environment.
- Good judgment, leadership skills and delivery-oriented attitude.
- Able to manage time effectively in spite of competing priorities and deadlines.
- Sense of humor, professional work ethic and team player.
- Minimum of seven to ten years of relevant experience.
- Top-tier law firm or in-house company experience (tenure with a governmental agency, such as the SEC or DOL, may be considered in meeting this requirement).
- Excellent academic credentials. Members of applicable Bar and local candidates preferred.
About Edelman Financial Engines
Since 1986, Edelman Financial Engines has been committed to always acting in the best interest of our clients. We were founded on the belief that all American investors – not just the wealthy – deserve access to personalized, comprehensive financial planning and investment advice. Today, we are America’s top independent financial planning and investment advisor, recognized by both InvestmentNews1 and Barron’s2 with 170+ planner offices across the country and entrusted by more than 1.2 million clients to manage more than $213 billion in assets. Our unique approach to serving clients combines our advanced methodology and proprietary technology with the attention of a dedicated personal financial planner. Every client’s situation and goals are unique, and the powerful fusion of high-tech and high-touch allows Edelman Financial Engines to deliver the personal plan and financial confidence that everyone deserves.
Edelman Financial Engines encourages success based on our individual merits and abilities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital, domestic partner, or civil union status, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, ethnic heritage, genetic information, age, legally recognized disability, military service or veteran status.
© 2019 Edelman Financial Engines™, LLC All rights reserved. All advisory services provided by Financial Engines Advisors L.L.C. Financial Engines Advisors does not guarantee future results.
1 Ranking and status for 2019. For independence methodology and ranking, see InvestmentNews Center (http://data.investmentnews.com/ria/);
2 The 2019 Top 50 Independent Advisory Firm Ranking issued by Barron’s is qualitative and quantitative, including assets managed, the size and experience of teams, and the regulatory records of the advisers and firms. Firms elect to participate, but do not pay to be included in the ranking. Investor returns/experience are not considered. 2018 ranking refers to Edelman Financial Services (EFS), which combined its advisory business in its entirety with Financial Engines Advisors L.L.C. (FEA) in November 2018. For the same survey, FEA received a precombination ranking of twelfth.
Meet Some of Edelman Financial Engines's Employees
Emily O.Marketing Manager
Emily oversees Financial Engines’ Digital and Live Event Channels, connecting interested people to nationwide retirement and financial planning news and information sessions.
Back to top