Hi! We’re ecobee. We’re innovators in the fast-emerging Connected Home industry. ecobee products are beautifully designed and incredibly smart. They connect to the Internet and help automate your home all while saving energy and money. We’re headquartered in Toronto, and play on an international scale. We’re growing. In fact, we’re growing really quickly and looking for great people to join our hive. One of those people is a User Researcher.
As an integral member of the User Research team, you’ll work directly with other researchers, product managers, and designers to uncover user needs across each phase of the product development and design process. Nothing escapes your keen eye for observation, or wide array of various research methods and tools. Your practiced curiosity means you know what questions to ask, and the best way to ask them—helping us understand the experiences, context, motivations, and behaviours that navigate our users through the world of smart home technology.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Evangelize user research across the company by helping build our core user research and insights capabilities
- Guide product and design decision-making by autonomously planning and executing research initiatives, ranging from strategic to tactical research
- Uncover user needs, behaviours, and motivations using a wide range of research methods including ethnography/field research, in-person and remote usability testing, participatory design, user interviews, concept testing, diary studies, and surveys
- Communicate and deliver meaningful user insights in creative and compelling ways to a variety of audiences, such as design teams, product teams, marketing teams and executive teams
- Lead empathy and design-thinking workshops with cross-functional teams to ensure that research findings are translated into actionable product goals
Who You Are:
- 2-3 years of professional experience as a user researcher, preferably in a hardware company
- A bachelor or master’s degree in one of the following programs (Human-Computer Interaction, UX Design or Research, Inclusive Design, Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology, Industrial Design)
- Demonstrable experience planning and conducting a wide range of qualitative and quantitative research methods, including recruiting end-users
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, to articulate findings and help shape product direction within organization
- Self-motivated and capable of working independently
- A strong interest in smart home technologies
You’ll know you’re a great fit if:
- You’re curious and creative in how you tackle complex issues and problem solve
- You‘re passionate about creating products that people love and love using
- You bring integrity into all levels of your work, and feel comfortable having to deliver hard truths to various stakeholders
- You believe that we can inspire change through empathy
Are you the one we’re looking for? If so, we would love to hear from you!
ecobee is committed to workplace diversity and will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process.
Back to top