We’re ecobee, a proudly Canadian hardware company transforming the way energy is used in the home. As first-to-market pioneers in the connected home space, we introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi compatible thermostat. In the past year, ecobee has become the highest rated thermostat online, and won rave reviews from consumers and media alike—not to mention doubled in size. And we’re just getting started.
We are innovators in the fast-emerging connected home and IoT industries and are home to more than 300 multi-disciplined individuals that act on their genuine concern for the environment while excelling in their areas of unique expertise – from software and product development to marketing and accounting.
Who we're looking for:
We are seeking a Systems Administrator to provide internal IT support and maintenance to company IT systems and assist in the design and implementation of IT projects.
Reporting to the Manager of IT, the Systems Administrator will be responsible for ecobee internal IT systems and processes including: equipment purchases, technology training, new systems implementation, troubleshooting and equipment maintenance. The candidate will also Provide support to the Site Reliability Engineering team responsible for managing the corporate servers and services at our office and our Tier 1 data center.
The candidate must be familiar with Windows, macOS and Linux based systems, have a solid understanding of information technology principles, and the ability to expand their technical skill sets through mentored training and independent learning. This role interacts with a wide variety of people so we’re looking for someone with great people skills and a friendly and accessible communication style.
What makes this role awesome:
- It's international!: You will have the chance to work with a remote sales staff and offices across the Atlantic Ocean! We also have IT integrations with our manufacturing facility in Asia
- We are a true tech company!; Our users have some level of IT knowledge and interesting challenges (VLANs, a ton of WiFi devices throughout the office, build systems, etc)
- We have a ton of different vendors and third-party platforms; we run in AWS, GCP and On-Prem, and there's opportunity to experiment with implementing (or scripting) some integrations here as well
- We care deeply about security and privacy and have team(s) dedicated to that; if you want to learn and grow in this space, we have lots of resources available!
What you will be doing:
- Design and implement new IT initiatives & infrastructure upgrades
- Document equipment configurations, procedures, and guidelines to provide accurate information related to IT projects
- Operate, monitor and maintain internal servers and other core infrastructure services such as WiFi, VPN, LAN, DNS, DHCP, etc.
- Administer, maintain, and monitor the corporate network infrastructure including Cisco/Meraki, pfSense and Mikrotik appliances administration, switches, wireless access points/controllers, and cabling
- Administer Oracle VirtualBox and VMware virtualization environments. Experience with virtualization (VMware, KVM, Xen, OpenStack) is highly preferred.
- Administer of MS Teams conferencing systems and Cisco VoIP phones (CUCM)
What you bring to the role:
- Post-secondary school degree in IT or demonstrated competency through relevant certifications (CCNA, CompTIA, etc) or experience.
- 3 years working in a technology environment, or experience you believe to be equivalent
- Experience with webserver admin, including: LAMP Stack, IIS, and database backend
- Experience juggling multiple tasks at once
- Experienced working in a team environment
- Experience with Windows Server, Unix/Linux, Networking equipment (firewalls, routers, switches)
- Programming / scripting skills (Python, bash, PowerShell, Go, etc) a strong asset
What we are offering:
- An opportunity to grow with a dynamic company with personal and professional growth
- Truly meaningful work that affects our planet
- A unique field in hardware – easy to share the product with friends and family!
- Ability to work on IoT products using new emerging technologies
- Small collaborative teams where you can impact both product and culture
- Learning opportunities supported by an education fund for every employee
- Community support through our ecobee acts program
Are you the one we’re looking for? If so, we would love to hear from you!
ecobee is committed workplace diversity and will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process.
Back to top