Software Engineer, Machine Learning
- Toronto, Canada
Hi. We’re ecobee. We introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat and since then, we’ve helped millions of people transform the way they save money and conserve energy. With each new release, we introduce technology that brings the ease of automation and peace of mind to the home, allowing people to focus on the moments that matter most. We’re proud of what we’ve done so far, but we’re not about to rest with lots more on the go and big things on the horizon for us in 2020!
We're a mid-sized tech company located in the up-and-coming tech hub on the Toronto waterfront. We look to hire talented people who care deeply about our ever-changing environment and excel in their areas of unique expertise; from software and product development to marketing and sales. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting connected home revolution!
Who you'll be joining:
You will be joining our Data Science Chapter and working closely with ML teams across the company on missions ranging from personalization, recommendations, energy efficiency, and building a cleaner energy grid.
How you'll make an impact:
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to help us define and build the next generation of ML products at Ecobee. We want to enable our ML teams to iterate quickly on hypotheses, scale experiments to data sets with hundreds of billions of data points, and rapidly ship products both on the cloud and on the edge. Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Building infrastructure that best supports the needs of a broad community of machine learning engineers, active across all Ecobee business units
- Designing such infrastructure under the constraints that come with scale in regards to correctness, usability, interpretability, experimentation and maintainability
- Becoming an expert on leveraging existing state-of-the-art tooling into the Ecobee eco-system (TensorFlow, TensorFlow Lite, Kubeflow Pipelines, Cloud Bigtable)
- Collaborating with cross functional agile teams of software engineers, data engineers, ML experts, and others in building new product features
- Leveraging your experience to drive best practices in ML and data engineering
- Gaining a deep understanding of various models used by our stakeholders on both structured and unstructured content (telemetry, audio, images, behavioural data etc)
- Determining the feasibility of projects through quick prototyping with respect to performance, quality, time and cost using Agile methodologies
What You'll Bring to the Table:
- You have a minimum of 2 years of experience building production software with Python, Java, Go, or C++
- You have experience with data processing, distributed systems, and storage frameworks like Google Cloud Dataflow, Spark, Cassandra, or Kafka
- You have experience building ML systems using frameworks such as Tensorflow, PyTorch, and Scikit-learn
- You have previously built APIs and libraries for Java, Scala, Python, or Go
- You care about agile software processes, data-driven development, reliability, and responsible experimentation
- You are a skilled communicator and have a proven record of leading work across disciplines
What We’ll Bring to the Table:
- The opportunity to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry that is the SmartHome and IoT space
- The visibility into a company that has an interesting mix of hardware and software consumer-facing businesses
- The ability to make an environmental impact, both in your day job and outside the 9-5 with programs like ecobee acts!
- Opportunities to learn and grow with our in-house learning enablement team, #ThinkLab and a generous professional learning budget
- A progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top up or 5 bonus days off) for all full-time employees taking Parental Leave
- Stock in the company as we approach #1 in the Smart Home industry!
Convinced you’ll be able to make an impact? We’d love to hear from you.
ecobee believes all people have equal value and we are committed to providing a safe space for everyone. We welcome all applicants with diverse races, genders, ages, religions, identities, experiences, etc. and we will provide accommodation to all applicants throughout our hiring process.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.
Back to top