Senior Web Developer
We’re ecobee. Born and raised in Canada, we're making living more comfortable with simply designed smart home devices that aren’t just smart for our users—but for our planet too. We invented the world’s first smart wifi enabled thermostat and continue to innovate the next generation in technology that is connecting the home. Our hive, headquartered in Toronto, is growing quickly and we are specifically looking for a Web Developer for our Consumer Website team.
Some of the cool stuff you’ll be working on:
As a Senior Web Developer you will be continually involved in shaping the direction of what web technologies we are using and how we implement those technologies. As someone who is familiar with the ever-changing universe that is the vast and infinite web, you'll have the freedom to choose your own tools for development. This freedom is encouraged through a relaxed view on coding that allows for individual expression - where everyone has a voice and every opinion is valued. Our team believes in a thoughtful and well-planned development cycle. We iterate, refactor, rewrite - in other words, no throwing code over the fence. You'll have ownership of the experiences you create, continually improving them and providing production support.
As a Senior Web Developer on the consumer website team, you'll create an experience that serves as the company's face to it's customers. You'll be responsible for an experience that guides and informs customers on their eCommerce journey as well as providing visibility and knowledge on ecobee's products and initiatives. You'll also have the opportunity to continually modernize and enhance the website platform - ensuring its maintainability and scalability.
Who you are:
- You have your front-end fundamentals - HTML, CSS - down pat
- You have a high level of confidence in your JS and you have a thirst to learn and know more
- You're more than comfortable working within frameworks such as SASS and React, emphasizing the principles and advantages of component-based design and development
- You’ve built or shipped things within GatsbyJS (or other static site generators)
- You're familiar with modern deployment engines such as Netlify (or similar)
- You're familiar with headless CMS implementations such as Contentful
- You're an agilist who has strong time management and communication skills.
- The end user is what drives you, when you are making design decisions or thinking through your problems
- You can speak to both a technical and non-technical crowd, and can collaborate with people from varied disciplines
- You understand that the web is for everyone, and champion accessibility and inclusive design
- You've got good Wordpress / PHP experience under your belt
- Collaboration and iteration are part of who you are and you are willing to engage your peers in both giving and accepting constructive feedback
What we are offering:
- Truly meaningful work that effects our planet
- A unique field in hardware/software interaction – easy to share the product with friends and family!
- Ability to work on IoT products using new emerging technologies
- Small collaborative teams where you can impact both product and culture
- Parental Top-Up Program (75% top up or 5 bonus days off) for all full-time employees taking Parental Leave
- Flexible schedules and work from home days
- Learning opportunities supported by an education fund for every employee
- Community support through our ecobee acts program
- Frequent Town Halls for company transparency
- Get in early at a growing (private) company with stock options
- Build new things + find new solutions – were growing to make room for new products!
ecobee is committed to workplace diversity and will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process.
Back to top