Senior Hardware Architect
We’re ecobee, a proudly Canadian hardware company transforming the way energy is used in the home. As first-to-market pioneers in the connected home space, we introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi compatible thermostat. Our beautifully designed devices help reduce energy waste and carbon emissions. So, they aren’t just smart for our users—but for our planet too.
Our hive, headquartered in Toronto is growing quickly and this is an exciting time for ecobee as we branch out from our thermostat roots and design new connected home devices. We are looking for a hands-on Hardware Architect to lead the design and creation of our next generation of products as well as help hire and lead a small team.
Do you feel limited? Are you looking for a company that will nurture creativity and innovation? We should chat.
Who you are:
- Looking for a challenge, you feel limited by your current situation
- A seasoned hardware professional who truly loves electronics and tinkering
- Wanting to make an impact with successful product development
- Seeking an energy packed job where no two days are alike
- Interested and experienced in people management
- Looking for a role that will have a large impact on the business
- Comfortable working onsite downtown Toronto
- Looking for the opportunity to grow within a leading-edge company
- Making a difference by creating sustainable solutions is top of mind
What you would do:
- Lead the architecture of our new hardware product designs
- Heavy involvement in all aspects of hardware engineering from product concept to production
- Hire, manage and develop a small team of hardware engineers
- Report directly into our co-founder and Chief Hardware Architect
- Roughly 15-30 years of experience
- Bachelor of Engineering degree in Electronics
- Must have been involved with full product development and high volume production
- design concept, circuit design, multiple stages of prototype development and test, entry into manufacturing, test fixtures
- identify and resolve design issues resulting in more reliable product and easing production
- identify and resolve field failures and work back improvements into the design
- Managed a team of HW and SW Engineers
- Circuit design using Schematic Capture tools
- Component research, work with vendors to identify suitable components for products
- Test Plan development, Proto validation
- Ability to write C and assembler code, IDE experience, compiling, downloading and trap trace debug
- CPU architectures, 8 bit, 32 bit and 64 bit experience
- Memory architectures, Flash, DDR2, DDR3 etc.
- Analog design with Fets and Transistors
- LCD, power supply, capacitive touch design
- Circuit simulation, Spice
- Solid communication and written skills, speaks clearly with others in the team
- Self-disciplined, ability to work independently
- Production Test Fixture strategy and development for high throughput production
Bonus points if you…
- Home office capable
- Owns various test equipment and have lab
- HVAC experience
- IOT experience
- RF radio experience, Wifi, Subgigahertz
- Test Fixture design and build with supporting test script development
- Understand PCB layout with component circuitry placement and strategies
- Linux coding
- 3D modeling of PCB in plastics ID
- Microphone Audio processing and Speaker Driver design
- Orcad schematic capture
Are you the one we need? If so, we would love to hear from you.
ecobee is committed to workplace diversity and will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process.
Meet Some of ecobee's Employees
Lead Front-end Architect
Alan works to empower and lead the Front-end Team as they tackle technical problems, making decisions about the technical direction that has a direct impact on the UX.
Back to top