We’re ecobee. Born and raised in Canada, we're making living more comfortable with simply designed smart home devices that aren’t just smart for our users—but for our planet too. We invented the world’s first smart wifi enabled thermostat and continue to innovate the next generation in technology that is connecting the home. Our hive, headquartered in Toronto, is growing quickly and we are looking for a Security Engineer.
Safeguarding our customer’s trust in us is ecobee’s top priority. Our challenges run from automating our systems and building continuous delivery environments, to supporting millions of simultaneous TCP sockets and ingesting nearly a terabyte of telemetry data a day. We aim to do this with high reliability and security in mind. If you are someone who enjoys finding creative solutions to complex security IoT challenges, then consider joining us in making connected home devices safer for everyone.
Who you are:
- You want to build and break things
- You can audit and write secure code and you like doing it on scalable systems
- You can balance developer needs with security constraints
- You're excited to share knowledge and cultivate security champions within our organization
What you’ll do:
- You will join the Production Engineering team to ensure the very best security practices are followed across the organization
- Architect new software systems and liaise with project teams and balancing their projects’ needs with privacy-conscious results. You'll ensure security and privacy are considered in every stage of the development life cycle and that security issues are found and fixed as early as possible
- Audit the existing code bases. Whether written in C, C++, Java, or Go; you can work across languages. You will help improve automated security testing and ensure it's integrated with existing build systems
- Own security critical product features such as ensuring all communication between devices protects the privacy of our users
- Develop solutions that work within the constraints of embedded systems
- Programming proficiency in C++ and at least one of the following languages: Java, or Go
- Experience developing on and for Linux environments
- Knowledge of Linux system internals; TCP/IP networking, and software engineering fundamentals
- Familiarity with common vulnerabilities such as buffer overflows, SQL injections, XSS attacks, and common mitigation techniques
- Working knowledge of cryptographic primitives and how to apply them to variety of challenges from initial device set up, firmware signing and web TLS
- Demonstrated security experience
Are you the one we need? If so, we would love to hear from you!
ecobee is committed to workplace diversity and will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process.
Meet Some of ecobee's Employees
Lead Front-end Architect
Alan works to empower and lead the Front-end Team as they tackle technical problems, making decisions about the technical direction that has a direct impact on the UX.
Back to top