Hi! We’re ecobee.
We are pioneers and innovators in the fast-emerging connected home and IoT industries. ecobee products are beautifully designed and incredibly smart. They are connected devices which automate your home while helping you save energy and money. We’re headquartered in Toronto, and play on an international scale.
We’re growing. In fact, we’re growing really fast. And, we’re looking for great people to join our hive.
Who Are You?
As a member of our Product team, you will be responsible for designing packaging for ecobee’s physical products as well as manuals, brochures, spec sheets and other customer-facing print material. You have a critical thinking mindset, and the ability to visualize several layout options while considering the implications of your design decisions. With excellent communication skills, you are comfortable presenting your ideas through various media – words, sketches, high-fidelity mock-ups and printed concepts
You will collaborate closely with our copywriters, UX designers and product managers, as well as stakeholders from Marketing and Product teams. You are excited about working with a cutting-edge company in the connected home market and can draw on your past experience to craft high quality print work that makes a great impression on our customers.
Still interested? Read on!
What Will You Do?
- Design packaging, manuals and other printed material, advising on the unboxing experience, colour, type, photography and design systems for product lines
- Using your expert knowledge of grid systems and typography, create well-designed, on-brand material from concept to production with minimal supervision
- Thoroughly understand the ecobee brand and its applications to contribute to product brand guidelines and ensure consistency across various media
- Clearly communicate ideas to a group of internal stakeholders, providing rationale behind design decisions
- Consider and apply feedback from stakeholders and user testing, making alterations as necessary
- Prepare files for print – modifying die lines as needed, ensuring colour correct product photography, and approving proofs when available to ensure quality of final printed result
- Ensure conformance of product bar codes as well as correct use of partnership and certification logos
- Coordinate with translator on French copy for new and revised designs
- Supply instructions for manufacturing to ensure print production goes smoothly when using overseas vendors
- Be on call during mass production to support the manufacturing team with file facilitation as well as troubleshooting any problems that surface
- Participate in design charrettes (ideation workshops) with team members from various departments to gain insights and develop rough concepts
What Experience Do You Have?
- Degree or diploma in graphic design (or equivalent)
- 4+ years of graphic design experience, including packaging, point of sale displays and other product-related print materials
- Proficiency in Adobe CS (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and Acrobat) and thorough understanding of digital file formats (PDF, TIFF, EPS, etc.)
- Strong organizational skills and an eye for detail, with the ability to multi-task and complete revisions accurately and on time
- Thorough understanding of industry standard print processes including Flexo, Litho, Gravure, etc.
- Colour management skills and the ability to work with different digital file formats as required
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional teams including manufacturing, marketing, product design, etc.
- Illustration, photography and retouching experience is an asset
- Experience utilizing user research and testing to inform design decisions is an asset
Are you the one we’re looking for? If so, we would love to hear from you! Please send a link to your portfolio along with your resume.
ecobee is committed to workplace diversity and will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process.
Meet Some of ecobee's Employees
Lead Front-end Architect
Alan works to empower and lead the Front-end Team as they tackle technical problems, making decisions about the technical direction that has a direct impact on the UX.
Back to top