Hi! We’re ecobee. We’re pioneers and innovators in the fast-emerging Connected Home industry. ecobee thermostats are beautifully designed and incredibly smart. They connect to the Internet and help automate your home all while saving energy and money. We’re headquartered in Toronto, and play on an international scale. We’re growing. In fact, we’re growing really fast. And, we’re looking for great people to join our hive.
As a Principal Developer, you will lead the technical decision making for the ecobee backend systems, and collaborate with Backend Developers, and cross-functional teams to design and build the API platforms used by millions of client devices. You’ll have the opportunity to advance into a people leadership role.
- Help plan and execute the transition to an increasing number of microservices.
- Maintain quality and stability on the Java base server platform. You will effectively change the engine of the ecobee airplane while in flight.
Who you are:
- You are familiar with the differences of building a system for 500,000 clients and 50 million clients, and know how to help an organization transition from one to the other.
- You appreciate the challenge of working with a hybrid cloud and on premises architecture, and will drive decisions on which makes sense to solve which problems.
- You know when you should build out a system of microservices, and when a magnificent monolith will solve the job.
- You know the tools of the trade and craft in 2017, and know how to experiment and select the tools that will best serve a growing organization like ecobee, now, and into the future.
- Knowledge of building systems at scale in any backend language(s)
- Experience building both on premises and cloud systems, and their advantages and disadvantages
- Understanding of modern development and deployment practices, including containers (Docker or others)
- Understanding of modern open source storage systems, including MySQL or MariaDB
- Experience with Linux, both baremetal and cloud (AWS, GCP, or other)
- Knowledge of how things are done in non-Java environments
If you are excited about working in a highly harmonious, multi-disciplinary, fast environment, you will find this role highly rewarding. Here, you can enjoy working from home a couple times a week, a competitive compensation package, health benefits, stock options, casual dress, and the opportunity to work with great people in a fast-growing environment. You’ll have a chance to not only love what you do but change the way the whole world thinks about energy and innovation.
ecobee is committed workplace diversity and will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If you require accommodation please reach out to email@example.com.
Are you the one we need? If so, we would love to hear from you!
Meet Some of ecobee's Employees
Lead Front-end Architect
Alan works to empower and lead the Front-end Team as they tackle technical problems, making decisions about the technical direction that has a direct impact on the UX.
Back to top