- Toronto, Canada
Hi. We’re ecobee. We introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat and since then, we’ve helped millions of people transform the way they save money and conserve energy. With each new release, we introduce technology that brings the ease of automation and peace of mind to the home, allowing people to focus on the moments that matter most. We’re proud of what we’ve done so far, but we’re not about to rest with lots more on the go and big things on the horizon for us in 2020!
We're a mid-sized tech company located in the up-and-coming tech hub on the Toronto waterfront. We look to hire talented people who care deeply about our ever-changing environment and excel in their areas of unique expertise; from software and product development to marketing and sales. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting connected home revolution!
Who’ll You Be Joining:
Our Mobile Development team is looking for our next iOS Developer. The ecobee app is the user’s gateway into the broader ecobee Smart Home and provides much of the functionality of our newest products. Over the past few years, our high-performing team of six developers have built support for all of ecobee’s existing and newly introduced products, including the ecobee SmartCamera with voice control, and ecobee Haven. To accomplish all of this, we’ve greatly expanded the ecobee app’s abilities by integrating new (to it) technologies including GraphQL, geolocation, and WebRTC, letting users control their home monitoring and energy savings with the device they always carry anyways.
We’re looking for an iOS Developer who loves about learning new technologies, but whose main passion is building great products for people to use. Our codebase is modern (almost entirely written in Swift), contains almost no storyboards (we build our UIs in code, using an internal component framework), and we release every two weeks. You’d be joining a multi-disciplinary team and will be able to have an impact immediately, whether it’s in building great code or collaborating with User Experience designers to create the best UI.
How You’ll Make an Impact:
- Collaborate with the broader development team, project managers, and domain experts in evaluating requirements and crafting effective, transformative solutions
- Live in Github building pull requests, reviewing code, merging branches, and generally being a standout colleague by seeking out and providing feedback
- Contribute to the growth of our team by providing mentorship to junior developers
- Collaborate, engage in design/architecture discussions, and share your ideas while building the next generation of features
- Translate business requirements into technical design specifications
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
- You have previous experience developing mobile Apps, with extensive knowledge of Swift
- Experience crafting and building user interfaces for both iPhones and iPads
- Strong experience and knowledge of Design and Architectural patterns and knows when to apply them.
- You are proud to showcase and have very strong OOP skills
- Experience working in an Agile Team environment as well as work independently
- Comfortable in a dynamic environment with multiple concurrent priorities
- Just so you know: Our hired candidate will be required to provide consent to complete a criminal background check.
We've built the following list as a guideline for some of the skills and interests of our development team - but we strive to build our team with members from a diverse background and skill set, so if any combination of these apply to you we'd love to chat!
What We'll Bring to the Table:
- The opportunity to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry that is the SmartHome and IoT space
- The visibility into a company that has an interesting mix of hardware and software consumer-facing businesses
- The ability to make an environmental impact, both in your day job and outside the 9-5 with programs like ecobee acts!
- Opportunities to learn and grow with our in-house learning enablement team, #ThinkLab and a generous professional learning budget
- A progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top up or 5 bonus days off) for all full-time employees taking Parental Leave
- Stock in the company as we approach #1 in the Smart Home industry!
Changes we’ve made to ensure our employees are safe: We are doing our part to ensure that our employees (and future employees) remain healthy, safe, and at home to reduce the spread of Covid-19. In doing so, ecobee has made the decision to be a remote-first work environment until July 1st 2021.
How does this affect hiring and onboarding? Our interview and onboarding process has remained relatively the same, except that interviews and on boarding sessions are conducted through video. New employees will be starting remotely and all necessary equipment will be shipped to them.
Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have.
Convinced you’ll be able to make an impact? We’d love to hear from you.
ecobee believes all people have equal value and we are committed to providing a safe space for everyone. We welcome all applicants with diverse races, genders, ages, religions, identities, experiences, etc. and we will provide accommodation to all applicants throughout our hiring process.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.
Back to top