We’re ecobee. Born and raised in Canada, we're making living more comfortable with simply designed smart home devices that aren’t just smart for our users—but for our planet too. We invented the world’s first smart WiFi enabled thermostat and continue to innovate the next generation whole home voice technology making a truly magical experience for our users on both our ecobee 4 thermostat and recently launched ecobee Switch+ light switch.
Our hive, headquartered in Toronto, is growing quickly and we are specifically looking for a Junior Hardware Engineer for our fantastic team.
Some of the cool stuff you’ll be working on:
As a Junior Hardware Engineer, you will be join the growing engineering team tasked to transform innovative ideas into cutting edge technology to improve the lives of ecobee customers and creating a meaningful impact on the environment.
Working in the Hardware Engineering department, your involvement in product development will go far beyond circuit design as you will also be tasked to invent creative and novel ways to create incredible products. Your understanding of the often conflicting demands of industrial design, manufacturability, thermal management, battery life, signal integrity and user experience will enable you invent beautiful and eloquent solutions to impossible problems. A strong technical background in the schematic design of a wide range of domains including high speed digital design, analog instrumentation, RF systems and high-voltage power supplies will enable you to quickly translate designs from schematics to manufacturing.
To accomplish all of this, at any given time you may be working closely with engineers from other teams as well as our QA, Product Management, Manufacturing, Embedded teams and third-party tech companies.
Besides the first to create a WiFi enabled thermostat, ecobee also been the first to fully integrate Alexa into both a thermostat and a light switch. Invention at the technological frontier means constant innovation and re-innovation to make the Smart Home, smarter. The Hardware Engineering team is routinely challenged with the question “can it be done?” As a Hardware Engineer, you will be a major contributor to help us answer with a resounding “yes”.
Your work may include any of the following:
- System architecture and schematic entry of electronic sub-systems
- Engineering design of sub-systems to be used in future ecobee products
- Development of custom hardware to test, characterize and validate systems
- Creation of powerful test plans to ensure robust hardware
- Use of RF equipment including VNAs and Spectrum Analyzers to test, tune and validate antenna networks
- Exposure to Design for Manufacturing (DFM) techniques for successful mass production of consumer electronics
- Test fixture design and support
- Debugging challenging circuits that no one else can solve
- Bring-up of new hardware
- Hands-on laboratory work including soldering, hot air rework and stereoscopic microscope assessments
- Thermal characterization of electronic systems for compensation algorithms
- Simulations using ANSYS software of RF antennas, thermal systems, signal integrity (SI) and power distribution networks (PDN)
- Inspection of high-speed digital interfaces using logic analyzers
- Custom firmware and bare-metal code to validate hardware performance
Who you are:
We've built the following list as a guideline for some of the skills and interests we've seen Hardware Engineering - but we strive to build our team with members from a diverse background and skill set, so if any combination of these apply to you we'd love to chat!
- Demonstrated passion for electronics and invention with examples of projects you’ve created outside of work hours at home, in a club or part of a team
- Strong interest in the environment
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mechatronics, Systems or similar
- Schematic entry in OrCAD Capture and/or Altium Designer
- Experience in SolidWorks
- Multidisciplinary experience integrating mechanical and electrical sub-systems
- Projects that show you’ve gone the extra mile to develop elegant solutions to complex problems
- Relevant background through coursework or industry experience including but not limited to digital circuit design, sensors and instrumentation, thermodynamics, real-time operating systems, power electronics, robotics, materials science, fluid dynamics and/or control systems
Having a background in any of the following domains would also make you a fantastic asset:
- Radio Frequency antenna design experience
- Programming experience in embedded C, C++ and assembly
- Process automation using Python, MATLAB or similar
- Test Fixture design and support
- Electromagnetic interference – and how to avoid it!
- Familiarity with UL and C-UL-US
- Experience with High voltage Electronics and Power Electronics
- Professional Engineer Designation or open to considering the pursuit of such designation
- FCC Regulations and Testing
- Design for mass production
What we are offering:
- Truly meaningful work that effects our planet
- A unique field in hardware/software interaction – easy to share the product with friends and family!
- Ability to work on IoT products using new emerging technologies
- Small collaborative teams where you can impact both product and culture
- Parental Top-Up Program (75% top up or 5 bonus days off) for all full-time employees taking Parental Leave
- Flexible schedules and work from home days
- Learning opportunities supported by an education fund for every employee
- Community support through our ecobee acts program
- Frequent Town Halls for company transparency
- Get in early at a growing (private) company with stock options
- Build new things + find new solutions – were growing to make room for new products!
Please apply If you are excited about working in a highly harmonious, multi-disciplinary, fast environment. We believe you will find this role highly rewarding.
ecobee is committed to workplace diversity and will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process.
Back to top