We’re ecobee. Born and raised in Toronto, we're making living more comfortable with simply designed smart home devices that aren’t just smart for our users—but for our planet too. We invented the world’s first smart Wi-Fi enabled thermostat and continue to innovate the next generation whole home voice technology making a truly magical experience for our users on both our ecobee 4 thermostat and ecobee Switch+ light switch.
Our Product team is looking for a Director of User Experience to join the hive.
As our Director of UX ...
You are an inspiring Design Leader
You are a passionate, inspiring design leader with a highly creative and collaborative approach, who is excited to work with a cutting-edge product team in the fast-growing smart home industry. You have successfully grown and led design/UX teams, working closely with leaders and teams from Product Management, Technology/Engineering, Research, and Marketing.
You are a strategic thinker
You have the ability to think strategically and lead the team towards innovative solutions that solve real problems for people using a human-centered, design thinking approach. You have a critical thinking mindset and the ability to imagine the future while considering the implications (both technical and otherwise) of design decisions.
You are a natural communicator
With excellent communication and presentation skills, you are comfortable presenting ideas through various media – words, whiteboard, graphics or prototypes. You’re a natural workshop facilitator who brings a wealth of experience in various UX techniques and frameworks to help foster growth and development of team member skill sets.
You are a lifelong learner
You understand the value of both generative and evaluative user research and are able to advocate for UX throughout the company as well as externally in the Design/UX community.
Ways you can contribute day one:
- Help establish a consolidated User Experience Vision that includes Principles and Patterns that inspire us company-wide
- Foster a culture of experimentation within the design team, while setting high standards of excellence for our work
- Direct a growing team UX Designers
- Demonstrate strong leadership beyond your own team.
- Coach and mentor team members to advance their career paths and help them develop their skills
- Identify opportunities for resource balancing within the team to get high priority work completed
- Proven experience organizing and facilitating activities such as design thinking/ideation workshops/charrettes, experience mapping and usability testing
- Dedicated, user-first mindset and an understanding that design and development decisions must solve for user needs backed up by research
- Expert understanding of design patterns and current best practices on mobile and web, including accessible, inclusive and universal design
- Strong interest in the connected home market and designing for products that may include voice and other non-screen-based user interactions
- Just so you know: The hired candidate will be required to complete a background check.
What we are offering:
- An opportunity to grow with a dynamic company, personal and professional growth
- Truly meaningful work that affects our planet
- Small collaborative teams where you can impact both product and culture
- Learning opportunities supported by an education fund for every employee
- Community support through our ecobee acts program
Are you the one we need? If so, we would love to hear from you.
ecobee is committed to workplace diversity and will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process
Back to top