Director, Production Engineering
We’re ecobee, a proudly Canadian hardware and software company transforming the way energy is used in the home. As first-to-market pioneers in the connected home space, we introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi compatible thermostat. Our beautifully designed devices help reduce energy waste and carbon emissions. So, they aren’t just smart for our users—but for our planet too. Our hive is headquartered in Toronto, and we are operating at an intensive scale. Our challenges run from orchestrating and automating our systems to efficiently storing terabytes of telemetry data to handling millions of simultaneous TCP sockets. We are looking for a Director of Production Engineering to help us as we scale to the next order of magnitude.
Who you are:
- You enjoy researching new technologies to influence the technical direction of the company and leave a lasting impact on the business.
- Passion for solving problems around tooling and the delivery of software to production.
- You enjoy investigating and solving the root cause of complex problems in a SOA environment.
- Interested in and experienced with people management.
- You’ve worked on automating cloud services such as AWS or GCP, but are also familiar with when to choose a cloud solution vs. an on-premise solution.
- Perhaps you’ve setup a Kubernetes cluster, or used tools such as CloudFormation or Terraform.
- Or maybe you have read a W. Richard Stevens book and are familiar with the author...
What you’ll do:
You’ll lead the Production Engineering team, which is responsible for delivering a scalable, reliable, and secure platform upon which ecobee’s online-services run. Our team of engineers comes from diverse backgrounds who collaborate with teams throughout the company. You will help grow and develop the team through hiring and mentoring. Through our training and education fund, we support you to take courses, attend conferences and continuously learn what is new in our industry.
- Uptime and Reliability:
You’ll be responsible for the overall system uptime, reliability, and the engineering of scalable and secure solutions. You’ll also run an on-call rotation staffed by people on your team and in other departments. We strive to reduce alerts out of hours and to minimize alerts during business hours too. Our goal is for the team to be building new software and systems, not responding to fires or tickets.
- Automation and Development of Infrastructure:
You and the team will be involved in automating the infrastructure and scaling it efficiently to meet the challenge of rapid growth. You will aid in developing orchestration systems and solve configuration management problems.
- Experience operating and scaling internet facing services to support millions of users.
- Familiarity with working within a team based around the Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) / Production Engineering models.
- Experience with co-lo based architectures in addition to cloud services such as AWS, GCP, etc.
- Experience with Linux based systems (file systems, processes, systems administration, troubleshooting/debugging processes, system calls, memory layout, etc.)
- Strong troubleshooting and debugging experience.
- Experience programming in a programming language (e.g. Python, Ruby, Go, C, etc.)
- Experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Network Security (firewalls, routing, proxies, etc.)
- Cryptography (PKI / CA operation, familiarity with modern crypto best practices)
- TCP/IP protocols and network fundamentals
Are you the one we need? If so, we would love to hear from you. ecobee is committed to workplace diversity and will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and throughout employment.
Meet Some of ecobee's Employees
Lead Front-end Architect
Alan works to empower and lead the Front-end Team as they tackle technical problems, making decisions about the technical direction that has a direct impact on the UX.
Back to top