We’re ecobee, a proudly Canadian hardware company transforming the way energy is used in the home. As first-to-market pioneers in the connected home space, we introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi compatible thermostat. Our beautifully designed devices help reduce energy waste and carbon emissions. So they aren’t just smart for our users—but for our planet too.
What does Developer Relations do at ecobee?
In addition to our consumer products, ecobee offers a developer API to 3rd party integrators. Some of our API customers include: home automation platforms such as SmartThings or Wink; complementary hardware companies in the smart home space; utility partners across North America who run energy savings events; and other commercial customers who manage fleets of ecobee thermostats. The Developer Relations team at ecobee supports all of these integrators with the goal of providing a great developer experience and ensuring developer success.
As we continue to grow our API platform, we are looking to expand our existing DevRel team and have both entry-level and senior positions available. We will look at factors such as your previous experience and career goals to determine our offer.
What you’ll do:
- Learn ecobee’s REST and GraphQL APIs inside and out
- Triage API-related & business support tickets – debug and resolve on your own, or escalate to the relevant team for resolution
- Communicate directly with API customers via email, Jira Service Desk, StackOverflow, and conference calls.
- Write both technical and non-technical documentation for the API Developer Docs developer.ecobee.com/docs and API Help Center (developer.ecobee.com/faq)
- Navigate API audit logs using SQL
- Navigate (but not write) code used by ecobee APIs (Java, NodeJS, Go, GraphQL)
- Test and/or provide feedback on 3rd party integrations
- Spot trends and suggest/implement improvements in order to scale API support operations and improve the API platform
- Help build tools to improve DevRel operations and developer experience
- Grow the ecobee 3rd party developer ecosystem
Who you are:
- Comfortable with communicating verbally and in writing – You will interact directly with developers and non-developers on a daily basis providing API customer support and software solution suggestions.
- Customer-service orientated – You enjoy helping solve customer’s issues with patience and ingenuity.
- Problem-solver and sleuth - Given a bug report or feature suggestion, you can reliably reproduce and/or track down the root cause so a clear solution can be presented to the customer or to the ecobee API development team.
- An impactful writer - You are able to produce clear and concise technical writing that scales.
- Detail orientated – Our 3rd party integrators rely on us to ensure quality and to be experts in great ecobee customer experiences so when something doesn’t meet our standards, you need to call it out.
- A technology generalist - Some level of programming experience is required but since ecobee DevRel supports integrators with varying tech stacks, this role is ideal for someone who knows a little bit about everything versus a specialist in one programming language or framework.
Those that are technically-minded and come from multidisplinary backgrounds (not just computer programming) can be a great fit for Developer Relations so don’t hesitate to apply if the job description excites you.
- Must be familiar with developer APIs
ecobee is committed to workplace diversity and will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process.
Meet Some of ecobee's Employees
Lead Front-end Architect
Alan works to empower and lead the Front-end Team as they tackle technical problems, making decisions about the technical direction that has a direct impact on the UX.
Back to top