Control Research Engineer
Control Research Engineer
We’re ecobee, a proudly Canadian hardware company transforming the smart home industry. As first-to-market pioneers in the connected home space, we introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi compatible thermostat. Our beautifully designed devices help reduce energy waste and carbon emissions. So, they aren’t just smart for our users—but for our planet too. We have recently introduced a voice controlled lightswitch in addition to thermostats and are continuously expanding our portfolio of smart home products. Our vision is to create a helpful home that listens and responds to your every command. https://www.ecobee.com/voice/
Some of the cool stuff you'll be working on:
At the ecobee AI lab, we aspire to re-imagine what is possible in a smart home. We investigate the use of various sensors with machine learning and AI solutions in order to create an adaptive, intelligent smart home. We see the smart home as an area of robotics research in that it perceives the activities of humans and is able to anticipate and respond to their needs. Your theoretical and hands-on expertise in control theory contributes to the success of our interdisciplinary team of AI researchers, hardware and software engineers, data scientists, and data engineers.
Your research will be focused on optimal control of IoT devices - mainly thermostats and HVAC systems. The smart home is a complex environment with multiple variables at play including outdoor weather, behavior of occupants, and the mechanical aspects of the HVAC system. Understanding the state of our devices and sensors is imperative in order to make optimal decisions affecting the comfort and savings that our customers experience. You will develop and implement algorithms on the device and in the cloud to achieve this goal for millions of ecobee users.
Who you are:
- Research various control strategies with respect to thermostat and future IoT devices
- Develop and implement embedded code for the edge (C++) and in the cloud (Python, Java)
- Contribute to design and development of algorithms and mathematical models
- Expand the knowledge of the ecobee data science team in areas of dynamical systems, control theory and systems engineering.
- MSc or PhD in electrical, mechanical or mechatronics engineering, mathematics, physics, or related quantitative fields
- Hands-on experience in end-to-end implementation of a control project e.g. in robotics or embedded devices
What we are offering:
- Truly meaningful work that effects our planet
- A unique field in hardware/software interaction – easy to share the product with friends and family!
- Ability to work on IoT products using new emerging technologies
- Small collaborative teams where you can impact both product and culture
- Parental Top-Up Program (75% top up or 5 bonus days off) for all full-time employees taking Parental Leave
- Flexible schedules and work from home days
- Learning opportunities supported by an education fund for every employee
- Community support through our ecobee acts program
- Frequent Town Halls for company transparency
- Get in early at a growing (private) company with stock options
- Build new things + find new solutions – were growing to make room for new products!
Please apply If you are excited about working in a highly harmonious, multi-disciplinary, fast environment. We believe you will find this role highly rewarding.
ecobee is committed to workplace diversity and will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process.
Meet Some of ecobee's Employees
Lead Front-end Architect
Alan works to empower and lead the Front-end Team as they tackle technical problems, making decisions about the technical direction that has a direct impact on the UX.
Back to top