- Toronto, Canada
Hi. We’re ecobee. We introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat and since then, we’ve helped millions of people transform the way they save money and conserve energy. With each new release, we introduce technology that brings the ease of automation and peace of mind to the home, allowing people to focus on the moments that matter most. We’re proud of what we’ve done so far, but we’re not about to rest with lots more on the go and big things on the horizon for us in 2020!
We're a mid-sized tech company located in the up-and-coming tech hub on the Toronto waterfront. We look to hire talented people who care deeply about our ever-changing environment and excel in their areas of unique expertise; from software and product development to marketing and sales. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting connected home revolution!
Who’ll You Be Joining:
As a Backend Developer, you will be joining a 20+ person Server Chapter and working on product squad. Your squad is a multi-disciplinary team that focuses their efforts on a single product. You'll work closely with other Backend Developers, Frontend Developers, QA, Site Reliability Engineers, Product Stakeholders, and Creative/Design, focusing your efforts on backend development and applying your craft to contribute the squad's success.
How You’ll Make an Impact:
As a Backend Developer you’ll use leading edge technologies to innovate highly concurrent, server applications that directly impact ecobee’s success. We encourage the freedom to investigate and evaluate new technologies to solve complex problems. As a result, your input will have a significant impact on our company and objectives.
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
- You like to continuously challenge yourself by finding new and better ways to solve complex problems.
- You don’t mind learning new technologies if it means getting you there sooner.
- The bigger the challenge, the better. You want to fearlessly dive into issues of concurrency, management of massive data sets, security, redundancy, fail over, and everything else you imagine a successful IoT company would need to consider.
- You have experience coding, databases SQL and otherwise, and have varying experience using Google Cloud and Amazon Web Services.
- We use Go and Java; so you're not shy of mixing it up because you understand the importance of "the right tool for the right job".
- You understand the craft of software development; automated testing, continuous integration and deployment, design patterns, etc.
- You are familiar with how to get your code "live", from getting it reviewed, merged into a production GIT branch, and orchestrated on the cloud or in a datacenter. You care about the stability of what you build so our customers have a great experience 24/7; this means being on a team that believes in and relies on metrics, a healthy on-call rotation to react to anomalies, and in general, creating wonderfully robust systems.
We've built the following list as a guideline for some of the skills and interests of our development team - but we strive to build our team with members from a diverse background and skill set, so if any combination of these apply to you we'd love to chat!
What We'll Bring to the Table:
- The opportunity to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry that is the SmartHome and IoT space
- The visibility into a company that has an interesting mix of hardware and software consumer-facing businesses
- The ability to make an environmental impact, both in your day job and outside the 9-5 with programs like ecobee acts!
- Opportunities to learn and grow with our in-house learning enablement team, #ThinkLab and a generous professional learning budget
- A progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top up or 5 bonus days off) for all full-time employees taking Parental Leave
- Stock in the company as we approach #1 in the Smart Home industry!
Convinced you’ll be able to make an impact? We’d love to hear from you.
ecobee believes all people have equal value and we are committed to providing a safe space for everyone. We welcome all applicants with diverse races, genders, ages, religions, identities, experiences, etc. and we will provide accommodation to all applicants throughout our hiring process.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.
Back to top