Sr. Software Engineer
The Software Engineer contributes to engineering of large scale solutions to enable Echo’s business while supporting the strategic architectural vision of quality, scalability, performance and function.
Essential Position Functions
Principal Accountability | Technical Planning
- Contributes to technical design including high-level conceptual diagram, ERD, service contracts
Principal Accountability | Software Development
- Active member of a product team that solves complex challenges and builds working software
- Develops with an awareness for team members needs
- Addresses technical debt constantly - escalating when it becomes risky (time or quality)
- Produces high quality code, fast
- Dependable and highly skilled development resource for peers
- Promotes collective code ownership so that everyone has visibility into the feature codebase
- Commands a broad awareness of related projects
- Mentors team members
- Provides development expertise to team members through education and review
Principal Accountability | Release Activities
- Supports and is accountable for timely releases and adherence to release activities
- Resolves defects in a timely and effective manner
- Identifies tactical risks and raises/resolves issues effectively.
- Contributes to merge up/down through development process
- Ensures that operational teams are effective during deployment (dry-run or production)
- Aware of infrastructure requirements/constraints
- Carries out root cause analysis on defects to ensure fixes are happening in the right way
Principal Accountability | Team Member
- Works hand-in-hand with Product Owner to break down user stories into small functional slices
- Encourages integration and promotes obtaining shared goals with team members
- Always open to new ideas and encourages innovative practices amongst peers
- Maintains an attitude of commitment through outward display of willingness.
- Practices positive interactions - leans on encouragement in place of judgment.
- Impresses responsibility on others by displaying ownership in tasks.
- Acts in the interest of the overall team.
- Actively works on broadening or adding a skill
- Asks for assistance when problems become challenging
- Willingness to promote and participate in new initiatives (i.e. CoE initiatives)
- Balances best practice decisions with delivering high business value (right vs right now)
- Contributes to the success of a self-organizing team
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent years of experience
- 1 to 3 years developing commercial-grade business applications leveraging the following:
- Writing code in an OO programming language
- Building or maintaining fault-tolerant systems
- Data Structures & Algorithms
- SOA Architecture
- 1 to 3 years developing front end applications leveraging:
- AJAX applications
- Contributing on an Agile team
- Proven track record working in a fast-paced, time-sensitive project that requires:
- Clear and timely communication of key information deemed critical to project success
- Managing software risk
- Balancing priorities
- Going above and beyond the requirement of the role
- Mentoring junior engineers
- Articulating technical information to a non-technical audience
- Leading without authority
What's in it for you?
- Help career growth by joining industry leader and established product team with newly integrated and focused User Experience process
- Working with an organization with defined market goals, products, customers, revenue, and development teams
- Experienced mentors to learn and adopt new practices
- Ability to introduce your own views and takes on the products
- See the path from the genesis of a product through idea life-cycle and retirement of a product
- Ability to live with your design and what customers think of the product
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or Vietnam era or other protected veteran.
See Inside the Office of Echo Global Logistics
Echo began in 2005 with one objective—to simplify transportation management. From coast to coast, dock to dock, and across all major transportation modes, Echo Global Logistics connects businesses that need to ship their products with carriers who transport goods quickly, securely, and cost-effectively.
Back to top