Senior Telecommunications Engineer
The Sr. Telecom Engineer will ensure the integrity and stability of all enterprise telecommunications based systems. This will be achieved through taking a lead position in the installation, configuration, monitoring, maintaining, and supporting all telecommunications services. They will offer internal teams and departments consultative support to leverage telecommunications technology, improve business processes, and implement solutions.
The Sr. Telecom Engineer is also responsible for designing and implementing new processes and best practices for both the day-to-day use and administration of these systems. They will draw out, analyze, document, validate, and sometimes complete project requirements. They will demonstrate their strong documentation, communication, and analysis skills by creating action plans, forming strong business relationships, and influencing the direction of projects to ensure a positive and satisfactory result from all parties.
Success in this role requires technical knowledge and experience, organizational skills, and an eagerness to do whatever it takes to get the job done effectively and efficiently while continually challenging and improving the status quo.
Essential Position Functions
Principal Accountability | Support / Telecom Administration
- Design, configure, and monitor telecom equipment in a redundant environment with failover
- Schedule and perform system maintenance to maximize the efficiency of IT efforts
- Provide technical support and coordination with the IT Service Desk and Infrastructure teams to solve technical and operational issues
- Evaluate usage of current communications feature sets and available upgrades and configuration changes
- Work with internal business teams to design and improve call flows to improve the experience of our internal customers and measure the performance of internal employees
- Monitor the performance and efficacy of current user and group configurations and create action plans to address failures, degradation and inconsistencies
- Create best practices and deliver instruction on basic administration to the IT Service Desk
- Research new technologies and best practices
- Be available to travel to remote locations and work outside standard business hours
- Provide support on a 24x7 basis as required
Principle Accountability | Communication
- Present with an approachable style and make the effort to put others at ease
- Demonstrates a strong ability to influence business owners and technical teams
- Build appropriate rapport and develop constructive and effective relationships with all types of people across the organization
- Uses diplomacy and tact in dealing with others; demonstrates sensitivity to the interpersonal anxieties of others
- Distills complex information and presents it in a clear, concise, and logical manner
Principal Accountability | Projects
- Create comprehensive project plans, including detailed project schedules, communication, and resource plans, as well as risk assessments
- Lead project meetings and maintain project documentation and collaboration spaces to ensure easy visibility for IT stakeholders and managers
- Identify and coordinate the necessary internal and external technology resources to complete project activities
- Track and communicates activity progress to stakeholders, managers, and project leaders; verify that IT deliverables meet stakeholder’s needs
- Prioritize multiple projects and operational support
Principle Accountability | Vendor Management
- Manage communications vendor service contracts and their expiry, project engagements, and participate in the evaluation of their performance
- Procure competitive and appropriate quotations for telecommunications equipment, projects, and services
- Identify hardware, tools, and consulting services that will ensure Echo’s telecommunications systems meet or exceed the pace of the business growth and development
- Create and maintain a document repository for current systems, providers, and services
Principal Accountability | Team Member
- Open to new ideas and encourages innovative practices amongst peers
- Practices positive interactions - leans on encouragement in place of judgment.
- Impresses responsibility on others by displaying ownership in tasks.
- Acts in the interest of the overall team.
- Actively works on broadening or adding skills
- Asks for assistance when problems become challenging
- Balances best practice decisions with delivering high business value
- Contributes to the success of the team
- Able to multi-task in a fast paced, fluid work environment
- Capable of presenting technical ideas and concepts in business -friendly language
- Create Knowledge Base articles to document problems and solutions
- Undergraduate Degree in Information Technology or related technical discipline or equivalent years of experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including technical documentation skills
- Willingness to learn new technologies
- Experience supporting and interacting with multiple IT disciplines, including telecom, networking, systems, and desktop administration
- Proactive, self-starter able to work with limited supervision and prepared to take responsibility for the role's operations
- Knowledge of Cisco IOS networking concepts and telecommunications hardware
- 5+ years experience leading short and long term VOIP telecommunications projects;
- Experience with Cisco UCM 11, UCCX 11, and Cisco Emergency Responder
- Administering call reporting and call recording platforms
- Designing, planning, implementing and support of new and existing distributed call centers
- 5+ years experience working in analysis of customer (internal or external) needs;
- Strong customer service focus
- Project management and prioritization abilities
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Proven track record in working in a fast paced environment
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or Vietnam era or other protected veteran.
Meet Some of Echo Global Logistics's Employees
Sr. Carrier Development Representative
Roz manages the sales aspect of the logistics side at Echo Global, interacting with trucking companies to make sure Echo clients can get the transportation they need.
Back to top