Vice President of Engineering, Emerging Technologies
Ebates is a profitable, high growth e-commerce company based in San Francisco. We offer a casual but fast paced environment where creativity and effective teamwork and collaboration are rewarded. We are changing the way people shop online, and we strive to provide the best possible customer experience - not to mention cash back on every purchase, with no strings attached. In 2015, members spent over $5 billion on Ebates' websites and since the inception of the company, have earned over $400 million in cash back. During the peak days of 2015, 5% of all online shopping went through Ebates!
We are part of the Rakuten family of companies, a high growth ecommerce company operating in the U.S. & internationally, and providing Ebates with substantial capital, access to great technology, and international markets. Our global consumer audience is nearly 1 billion users. We're always looking for talented individuals interested in helping us change the way the world shops, so if you're passionate about helping save people money and improving the shopping experience, we’d like to talk to you.
Check us out on The Muse and Glassdoor to learn about our culture and cool work environment:
Our Ebates Labs team is looking for an experienced technology leader and entrepreneur to lead our strategic initiatives as our new Vice President of Emerging Technologies. Reporting to the CTO, you will be responsible for accelerating development and market adoption of new products by leading our engineering teams and working collaboratively with our product and business teams. Those new products include our strategic investments in: in-store offers, universal shopping cart and other products (e.g. potentially product catalog and search) over time. You will help mentor and develop our existing engineering teams as well as accelerate hiring and team building. Without knowing either the right technology approach or the optimal blend of features and consumer-facing integrations at the start, you will need to balance fast iteration and prototyping with a vision for scaling.
- Short Term Results. Organizing and motivating teams to drive rapid-iteration, results-focused experimentation and feature development. Creating and establishing processes to deliver upon defined technology and business goals/metrics, promoting a results-oriented environment with high standards for quality assurance, release management, and delivery of features. Oversee or develop product specifications detailing user scenarios, functional requirements, performance/security requirements and technical specifications.
- Team Building. Mentoring and developing existing talent and attracting and retaining a world-class team by creating and delivering a differentiated talent strategy. Fostering a low-ego, non-political environment that encourages inter-team and cross-functional teamwork, across multiple geographies, and drive innovation and effective integration at scale. Build management structure and processes to improve efficiency in a rapidly growing organization.
- Scale and Scope. Ability to stay focused and balance the delivery of immediate results and long term opportunities in the face of increasing complexity across product lines, geographies, channels and internal and external global partners.
- Leadership. Building a common vision for our new products and leading teams to execute. Using external data and internal lessons to challenge our status quo and develop new hypotheses as required. Work well cross-functionally to align with platform and front-end initiatives.
- Prior success as an entrepreneur or intrapreneur leading engineering teams across web and mobile platforms
- Experience scaling high volume products and businesses
- Proven track record of hiring, building teams, shaping culture, and developing team leaders and principal engineers
- Successfully led cross-office initiatives and remote teams
- Data-driven, business acumen to challenge assumptions and be an effective business partner
- Previous experience in consumer web (e-commerce or e-travel) would be ideal but not required
Position can be based in the San Francisco/Bay Area OR San Diego. Some travel is required.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Principals only please. No 3rd party or vendor resumes accepted.
Meet Some of Ebates's Employees
QA Automation Engineer
As a QA Automation Engineer, Siddhi works with Ebates' Release Team to ensure any code going into production is working effectively and ready for release.
Back to top