Consulting Engagement Manager - Rakuten
Rakuten, Inc. is the largest ecommerce company in Japan, and third largest ecommerce marketplace worldwide. Rakuten seeks to empower merchants to deliver Omotenashi, a hospitality mindset, which helps sellers create lasting relationships with customers.
At Rakuten, we offer competitive salaries, benefits, annual bonuses, a stocked kitchen (including catered breakfast and lunch daily), and a dynamic office environment in San Mateo, CA. We love investing in our people and when it comes down to it, we think our entire team is pretty awesome. As a technology focused company, we understand the importance of an energizing atmosphere that promotes collaboration and innovation.
Rakuten Interactive is the new Global Ads & Services pillar of Rakuten Inc., the 3rd largest global eCommerce player and the largest Internet services company in Japan. Our Big Idea is to give brands and publishers a one-stop shop to consolidate, activate, and value-up consumer data, implement never-before-seen solutions, and leverage best-of-breed technologies as 1 economical platform.
We are hiring a founding Engagement Manager to sell, rally, and execute unique solutions at our digital consultancy. The mission is to achieve 50% coverage of the F500 in very short time, replicate in Japan, and go global. It takes a utility player to learn and bring together Rakuten Interactive assets, products, partners, and services (digital strategy, content, analytics, eCommerce, UX). It takes smarts to storyboard and create the digital value architecture and sell it to clients.
Our ideal candidate has consulting pedigree and left the nest for industry: high-growth startups, ad-tech, CPG, healthcare, digital, even the public sector.
- Lead innovation seeding, financial arbitrage, strategic partnerships, cost-savings, new service development, and P&L lever pulling for the client:
- Focus on CPG, Financial Services, Retail, Healthcare, and Public sectors
- Manage contracts, retention, and relationship building of initial clients
- Deliver consultative, data-driven solutions and hire as necessary
- Recruit, firehose, polish: grow new analysts and consultants
- PMO and budgeting: P&L responsibility for agile teams
- Break into new verticals:
- Work closely with Sales and Channel to drive origination and lay project pipeline
- Achieve and exceed revenue targets and overall sales through a few key accounts
- Generate accretive revenue with industry reports, whitepapers, and value-up data
- Build knowledge center, playbook, and relationship ecosystem
- Honor client confidentiality: never sell proprietary data or repurpose PPTs to competitors
- Initial sales enablement and debriefs to educate and equip sales force to retain, grow, and secure net-new customers. Master and teach latest toolkit to junior consultants.
- 6+ yrs. experience in Consumer Goods, Financials, eCommerce, Healthcare, Life Sciences, or Cloud (services/delivery/products)
- Minimum 2 yrs. in strategic/digital/management consulting at top tier firm (skewed towards Digital practices: McKinsey, BCG, Bain, Deloitte Digital, Accenture Digital), agency (WPP consulting functions), or hybrid (Epsilon).
- Alternatively: minimum 2 yrs. in ad-tech/media buying/publishing
- Team leader with fearless reports, non-IC role
- Strong solution selling and/or evangelism in B2B vertical
- White-paper, thought leadership authoring as subject matter expert or analyst
- Existing domain expertise in business intelligence, analytics, paid search/social, display advertising – insights and martech gamut – or willingness to quickly learn
- Analyst basics: primary research/polling, financial modeling, Powerpoint storyboarding, no fuss project management (Project, Excel, Trello/Asana); data visualization a plus
- Bachelor’s degree minimum (3.5/4.0 GPA or 2:1 equivalent), no concentration restriction
- Masters a plus, however finishing degrees strongly preferred: JD, MBA (Global Top 25), PhD
- International study/work abroad and multiple languages a plus
- David vs. Goliath solution-making with speed, precision, and leverage
- Methodical problem-solver who turns engagements into playbooks and expertise
- Sharp brand ambassador: Rakuten’s international, sleeves-rolled “brain trust”
- Humble and head screwed right: this is not about SPG points or business class if >8 hour flights
- Ambition to outgrow job and role, competitive with self, group, and external players
- Hungry, positively aggressive, curious, funny, and agitating
- Extremely, extremely smart: 2-3 steps higher in thought horizons over peers
- Creative and Process-driven: out-of-box thinking, white-paper hypothesis, creative synthesis, data collection, team leverage, recommendation, execution, add-on sale
- Right kind of ambition: growing people, revenue, and products with no bureaucracy or politics
- Not a 11am-3pm Mountainview job: legwork, persistence, and frequent travel required
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Ebates are considered property of Ebates and are not subject to payment of agency fees.
Meet Some of Ebates's Employees
QA Automation Engineer
As a QA Automation Engineer, Siddhi works with Ebates' Release Team to ensure any code going into production is working effectively and ready for release.
Back to top