Senior Performance Engineer - Duo Security
- Austin, TX
Duo Security, now a part of Cisco, is the leading provider of Trusted Access security and multi-factor authentication delivered through the cloud.
Duo's mission is to make security simple for everyone. We were born from a hacker ethos and a desire to make the Internet a secure place. We believe in empowering people to follow their passions inside and outside of the office and enable every employee to bring their whole self to work.
Our team is our secret weapon. We run the spectrum from artists to analysts, low-key to high energy, and bring together a diversity of skill sets, experiences, and perspectives to solve what we consider to be the world's most pressing geopolitical challenge - transforming the security industry as we know it. Together we build solutions that are easy, effective, trustworthy, and enduring. And that's why we are the most loved and trusted company in security.
The Senior Performance Engineer is passionate about software performance and reliability of software systems, and understands the metrics that drive performance behavior in software systems, and can build frameworks and tooling to help repeatable performance testing. Our Senior Performance Engineer works with many teams, helping build best practices in performance testing across the organization, collect feedback on how to improve our performance test framework, and critically evaluate requests to determine priority for implementation. We expect a strong development background as you will spend 60% or more of your day writing code for our python based framework. Ideal candidates will have strong experience with performance metrics collections and developing performance testing frameworks, combined with the ability to tune code, database queries, no sql optimizations, distributed tracing, and operating system parameters. You will be responsible for building strong relationships with engineering teams, site reliability teams and stakeholders.
- Be a champion for Performance Testing in the organization
- Be an advocate for Resilient and Scalability of Systems
- Extend our performance engineering framework designing for ease of use for our Engineers
- Be a partner for engineering and provide best practices, tools for performance optimization and make suggestions for engineering to trend towards
- Define, measure and publish meaningful metrics to measure product and build performance and help teams improve them.
- Understand priorities and risks and help focus our quality build efforts on where they matter the most.
- Work with mobile apps, backend Linux services, SAAS products, etc, thus growing the breadth and depth of your knowledge
- Learn on the job every single day and become the best Engineer you possibly can be!
Skills and core competencies you have:
- Strong Software Development Background to build and extend our python performance framework, understand our product architecture and APIs, make recommendations
- Work on projects up to a 1 quarter time horizon and impact Performance Testing across the Engineering Organization.
- Understanding of various technologies, best practices, performance tuning, and impact on production traffic
- Methodical and able to troubleshoot performance issues for a root cause
- Provide recommendations and solutions to performance issues found in product
- Communicate Performance Results that are actionable to engineers and understood by management
- Performance tools like locust (preferred), gatling, tsung, jmeter, k6.
- Performance Metrics for consumption by engineers, customers and industry tooling (AppDynamics, DynaTrace, DataDog, etc.)
- Experience with distributed applications and tracing
- Deep knowledge of performance resources - CPUs, Main Memory, Storage Devices, Controllers, Interconnects. Knowledge of eBPF is a plus
- Hand on experience with Python, MySql, Redis, kafka, docker, kubernetes
- Traffic and Data generation
- Solid Linux skills
- Scripting and strongly typed Languages like python (preferred), bash, ruby, go, java, c#, swift
- Cloud experience (AWS preferred) and cloud automation tooling (Ansible, AWS API, terraform etc.)
- Deep curiosity of how our product works to help drive performance testing to new limits
Duo is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion and connectedness. We are able to grow and learn better together with a diverse team of employees. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, innovation, self-expression, and talent that our employees invest in their work represents not only part of our culture, but our reputation and Duo's achievement as well. In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that all potential candidates can bring in terms of their education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, gender identity and expression, nationality, age, languages spoken, veteran's status, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
And if this role is exciting to you, we encourage you to apply even if you don't meet all 100% of the description or qualifications. Finally and most importantly, we are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to top