Software Engineer, Backend
Build tools to help our global community of learners connect and converse in cities around the world.
Duolingo software engineers develop next-generation education technology that changes how over 300 million people around the world learn. We’re looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas in computer science, including natural language processing, machine learning, large-scale system design, web, iOS and Android development.
As a software engineer in our Seattle office, you will work on Duolingo Events, our platform for connecting language learners around the world. Duolingo Events are hosted by passionate language enthusiasts around the globe. They bring the fun and effectiveness of Duolingo’s online experience into the real world by immersing learners in target-language conversation and have scaled to 500+ events/week across 100+ countries (and growing rapidly).
- Collaborate on software projects with others in engineering, as well as with our product team, our design team and our Community team
- Develop, release, and maintain web applications and backend services
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- A solid foundation in computer science with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design
- Some programming experience in Java or Python, AWS cloud computing and web development
- Ability to relocate to Seattle, WA
Exceptional candidates will have:
- Experience writing production-quality code
- Experience writing unit tests and testable code
Back to top