- Pittsburgh, PA
Design — Pittsburgh, PA
Put language education in motion.
Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. With over 500 millions users, we are the most popular language learning application in the world. But we’ve got more left to do — and that’s where you come in! You’ll help us breathe life, personality, and story into characters and UI elements on our mobile apps, social media posts, videos, and more.
This role reports to the Senior Design Manager as a member of the Design team, partners closely with our Head of Art, and collaborates with our Product, Marketing, and Content teams. At Duolingo, we take pride in our craft and agonize over high-quality design with a user-friendly (and fun) experience for everyone.
- Breathe life into character and UI designs
- Demonstrate mastery of The Principles of Animation
- Create original, entertaining animations for our apps, social media, and marketing campaigns while keeping characters on-model and appealing
- Consider the user experience surrounding the animations you create
- Work in a highly collaborative fashion with the Design, Product, and Engineering teams, flexing and adapting based on the project and team you’re working with
- Build effective relationships with and inspire complete confidence in partners, earning trust to drive creativity and vision
- Persuasively present and defend work
- Plan and execute projects independently across the full animation pipeline, in partnership with Design Program Manager
- Identify new and innovative ways animation can influence our products and brand
- Develop an understanding of how your work impacts the goals and objectives of the teams you partner with
- An online animation and motion graphics demo reel
- Skill and proficiency animating with Adobe After Effects
- Experience working in a tech company, agency, or animation studio
- Excellent communication skills, with an ability to effectively talk about animation with non-animators
- A desire to inspire and mentor your peers
- The ability to juggle multiple projects in parallel from concept to implementation
- The ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
Exceptional candidates will have...
- 5+ years of experience working at a high-paced animation studio or tech start-up
- Experience with illustration and character animation for mobile content
- Familiarity with Airbnb’s Lottie
- Familiarity with performance best practices for mobile animations
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Back to top